We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

occidental grand xcaret for couple

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
occidental grand xcaret for couple

HI, I need advice about the occidental grand xcaret. My boyfriend and I are 24 and looking for a relaxing vacation. We are going the last week in May. Is this a good resort for us. Also, are there a lot of kids and what about the beach. Is it really small.

Thanks,

Michelle

East Coast, USA
reviews: 8
1. Re: occidental grand xcaret for couple

I can't respond to most of your question b/c I haven't been yet -- we're going 5/13-5/20; however, your beach question is likely to stir a lot of responses. I would say take everything with a grain of salt. From what I gather, the beach is small -- it's man-made -- carved out and filled with sand to let some ocean water flow in. If you're a beach person (as in you want to stroll along the beach), then this would not be for you. If you want to get in the water, but not have waves, then this fits the bill. You can also snorkel here. I can tell you that my husband and I are in our thirties and we researched extensively before choosing a resort for our first trip to Mexico -- we selected OGFX. We thought it was one of the most beautiful, was a decent price, had generally very good reviews, and had the bonus free admission to the park next door. We expect there to be kids, but we also expect there to be quiet areas, and with the resort being as large as it is it seems that no one ever feels crowded. We also felt the size and variety of pools made up for whatever may be lacking in the beach. Hope this helps.

Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 15
2. Re: occidental grand xcaret for couple

I won't respond about the beach...obviously everyone knows how much I was disappointed it :)

Being a young married couple in our late 20s with no kids, we found this resort just right for us. There is an "active" pool where they play loud music and games, and a "quiet" pool where you can relax. There were many kids when we were there (August), but end of May, kids should still be in school, so who knows. Plenty of restaurants to choose from, they have a disco/bar, but it is more for teeny-boppers. They have live entertainment each night, start off with kid shows, then a great female singer, then either a pagent, or a dance show, or a magician, etc...

This is a place to relax and unwind, NOT party and drink all day and all night. If your looking to relax, you'll enjoy this resort.

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: occidental grand xcaret for couple

Thanks for the responses. It sounds like the resort makes up for the lack of beach. We have to make our decision soon, but I think it sounds good.

UK
reviews: 4
4. Re: occidental grand xcaret for couple

Hi SchoolGal

My boyfriend and I have similar requirements to yourselves and after much discussion we went for the OGFX. We arrive the 30th May and are really looking forward to it. It looks like there's a lot of space and different places to relax. I also believe that there is a small adult-only pool and beach as well. Just a tip: we eat late, which usually means that there are fewer kids around. We don't hate kids or anything btw, it's just more relaxing to be in a child-free environment sometimes, isn't it :-D

Milwaukee, WI
reviews: 1
5. Re: occidental grand xcaret for couple

We just returned from the OGFX and it is truly a family and couples oriented place. If you are a single guy looking to hook up with some hotties in bikinis, you will be VERY sorry! In fact, everyone here was absulutely your "average Joe." No topless ladies, no Playboy centerfolds-just average people in average swimsuits with average body types. Since this resort was only running at 60% capacity this week, all I can say is that there were many families with kids, and couples who were all over 30. I didn't see anyone younger anywhere. Many foreigners from all over the world. I took a water aerobics class in the ocean and we all had to go around the circle and say where we were from. I heard Italy, Spain, UK, Canada and all over the US. You can never be sure that if you talk to someone, they will know English. That happened to me twice when I was trying to ask the time from people. I saw only 1 drunk couple the whole time were were there.

Milwaukee, WI
reviews: 1
6. Re: occidental grand xcaret for couple

btw-I absolutely loved this beach and I wouldn't have wanted anything more