We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Yucatan Refurbishment April 2013

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kent
reviews: 2
Riu Yucatan Refurbishment April 2013

Hi, I have heard from several people that this hotel is due for closure and refurb early April 2013. I have booked for early May 2013 and wouldn't have thought it would be open, we booked through Thomsons. Has anyone else heard this? Whats the normal procedure if our hotel is not open, will they upgrade us (I wish!) or downgrade us? Any help would be appreciated

B.C. Canada
reviews: 13
1. Re: Riu Yucatan Refurbishment April 2013

Not sure why that would be as they had a full reno in 2005 or 2006 and the Playacar hasn't had its yet and they're certainly due. I just looked at www.riu.com and they're booking the entire month. If it was closing they'd show it like they do right now for the Riu Palace Mexico. So IMHO don't think it's happening.

Kent
2. Re: Riu Yucatan Refurbishment April 2013

Perhaps its just been announced, 3 different people on the Yucatan page on facebook have all said the manager has confirmed, It also says the fittings from the Palace are going into the Playacar.

It quotes "The rep told up it's march til may. We mentioned my step-son is booked for June and he said they have a contingency plan in place in case the work over runs."

If you look at the latest review on Trip Advisor from Tom G, he also states there is a refurb planned for this date

B.C. Canada
3. Re: Riu Yucatan Refurbishment April 2013

And Management and especially Staff have started rumours in the past. Maybe some furnishings from the RPM are going to the Playacar, and that was a strong rumour 6 - 9 months ago, but a lot of the furnishings have been/are being sold to RPM staff. A couple of weeks ago the stuff was in the parking lot for pickup. And Tour Operator Reps know less than Management and staff, they like to start their own rumours. I've been hearing rumours for the past 10 years that have been started by staff and very few ever came to be. Maybe this will be different but all I'm saying is it is unusual for Rius to do a full renovation after only 6 or 7 years. And it really doesn't make a great deal of sense to shut a resort down in the "high" season, best to do what they're doing with the RPM - end of Aug to end of Nov, "low" season. Just checked riu.com and they're booking the Yucatan in March too and early May. They just wouldn't have a plan to relocate guests that are in their 507 rooms. They are operating at 100% capacity at that time of the year. I'll contact Riu's Directora for all the Playacar Rius and see what she says, may take a bit of time as she's no doubt heavily tied up with the RPM renos.

Kent
4. Re: Riu Yucatan Refurbishment April 2013

Thanks bobfrombc, i hope your right, this is our first ever long haul trip and its for my 40th birthday, would be disappointed if it was all to go wrong, appreciate your help and thoughts on this.

Manchester UK
5. Re: Riu Yucatan Refurbishment April 2013

Intersting, we booked a couple of weeks ago for 2 weeks starting 6th May, we are now thinking of taking our son and his GF with us and when I looked this morning there was no availability, only Tequilla and Playacar were available.

I think it mus be a curse on us!!:-

2007 Booked and stayed at Tequilla

2008 Couldn't decide between Tequilla or Playacar and booked Tequilla, next thing we know is they decided to refurbish the Tequilla so we were transfered to Playacar!

2009 Booked the Tequilla and then there was the "swine flu outbreak" Tequilla was closed and just about re-opening when we were due there so we changed to the Yucatan, as we rightfully expected the Tequilla to be very quiet as it had just reopened!

2010 Booked Yucatan and stayed at the Yucatan!!!!

2011/2012 Jamaica and Cuba

2013 Will have to wait and see what happens now!!!!!!

Edited: 8:16 am, September 18, 2012
Kent
6. Re: Riu Yucatan Refurbishment April 2013

not looking good!

Barnsley, England
reviews: 10
7. Re: Riu Yucatan Refurbishment April 2013

strange that on Thomsons site it is showing as unavailable from end April to end of July, but on the Riu site it shows that the Yucatan is still available throughout May

B.C. Canada
8. Re: Riu Yucatan Refurbishment April 2013

Maybe it's Thomson because I just checked Signature, the only tour operator authorized to sell Riu packages in Canada and Funjet in the US and it's available for Apr 8 - 22 and 2 weeks mid May on both sites. Just random dates I put in.

Kent
9. Re: Riu Yucatan Refurbishment April 2013

Its unavailable on Thomson and First Choice in UK

B.C. Canada
10. Re: Riu Yucatan Refurbishment April 2013

They're the same company or under the same umbrella TUI which also owns or is in partnership with Signature. Interesting that the only folks having a problem with booking are from the UK. Hopefully I'll hear from my contact today or tomorrow.