We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playa del Carmen or Puerto Vallarta

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
PHX, AZ
Playa del Carmen or Puerto Vallarta

My husband and I are celebrating one Lucky year of matrimonial bliss(by the skin of our teeth!) And we can't decide.. Puerto Vallarta seems more quaint while Playa del Carmen has a lot to do, has anybody done both?

Riverside...
reviews: 1
11. Re: Playa del Carmen or Puerto Vallarta

We, too, have been to both. For us there is no comparison. Hands down PDC wins. We were just in PV last November. It is closer and cheaper for us, but definately not worth it.

The crystal, clear caribbean water cannot be beaten. The water is so warm and lovely. You can snorkel or just relax on the beach. The water in PV was cold and murky. You could not snorkel to save youe life. No visibility.

I think PV is too crowded for a romantic getaway. Try the Yucatan Peninsula. You'll be spoiled and never even want to go to the Pacific side of Mexico.

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
12. Re: Playa del Carmen or Puerto Vallarta

Playa del Carmen. The beaches are more serene and the area is less built up. You will have a nice memory to say you planned and throw in his face before the next skin of your teeth anniversary. LOL

New York City, New...
reviews: 10
13. Re: Playa del Carmen or Puerto Vallarta

Playa del Carmen. The beaches are more serene and the area is less built up. You will have a nice memory to say you planned and throw in his face before the next skin of your teeth anniversary. LOL

Alliston, Canada
reviews: 11
14. Re: Playa del Carmen or Puerto Vallarta

TakealittleTrip!!!

Been to both and hand down I would be booking Playa Del Carmen. The beaches in the Mayan are beautiful white with Turquoise waters. The beaches of Puerto Plata were very comparable to local beaches near my home town. I was in Nuevea Vallarta/Jalisco and found the beach to be a little dirty and very darl sand. So for beaches Playa Del Carmen for sure. For Hotel Quality I would again have to say Mayan, most of them a 4 if not 5* and the massive resorts are stunning. A lot of choises in the Mayan. You mentioned quaint, I still feel like Playa is Quaint. You can visit Puerto Morelas, Merida or Tulum all quaint places. I would have to suggest the Mayan only because every aspect of your vacation will be catered to at 5* levels.

Cheers....................Lornadeee

Johnsburg, IL
reviews: 2
15. Re: Playa del Carmen or Puerto Vallarta

Gotta go with the flow here.........PDC over PV. Been to PV twice and PDC once. We too are planning an anniversary trip (25 yrs) for this October. We are swaying to PDC. The only thing about PV that we liked was the resort the 2nd time which was the Royal Crown Paradise which was closer to town than the 1st time where we stayed in the Nuevo area. We intended to go to town but had too dang much fun at the resort and never left except once for a snorkel excursion. Other than going to town there is not the variety of things to do like in PDC. PDC offers just about anything to do and is still the authentic Mexico in comparison to Cancun. PV is beautiful, don't get me wrong. But, even if we plan to do nothing at all we still like the idea of knowing it is there if we want to. I don't recall being hounded by vendors on the beach in PDC like they do in PV! I know they are just trying to make a living but when I say no gracious I mean NO still 5 minutes later. Sorry I am not the bartering type and if I want something I know what I am willing to pay and if you don't want to sell it at the price I have no desire to buy it. Sorry, off the topic but it also just made my mind up. PDC for us in October!

Ironton, Ohio
reviews: 4
16. Re: Playa del Carmen or Puerto Vallarta

Yes I was in PV a few years ago and was very disappointed in the beach and darkness of the water nothing like PC . I like Pc much , much better all the way around. Going to Pc in April and can't wait . Staying at the Royal and hope we get ok rooms...so many postings as to all the problems they are having with that...