We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now I know...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorktown Heights
reviews: 22
Now I know...

Now I know why phone calls and internet access was so expensive in Mexico and guess still are:

bloomberg.com/news/2012-01-30/slim-led-phone…

Edited: 6:14 pm, January 30, 2012
Chatham, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: Now I know...

Carlos Slim has to pay for that new Super Yacht that he has ordered somehow, he has sold his other one called the Mariana.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 57
2. Re: Now I know...

Yes , he got a little help in becoming the worlds richest man. From every Mexican who pays for his overpriced Telmex, Telcel and internet services. I try but its difficult to avoid his companies. In addtion to control of the phone market, he owns Sears and Sanborns, among other things.

Cozumel, Mexico
reviews: 8
3. Re: Now I know...

Yes Robert, He is the only gane in town really.

Here is a cute way to buy your dream boat....On almost every lan line (Telmex) you get 100 free calls per month. 3 per day, then its 10c for

every call after you exceed 100. I pay extra to get 200 calls a month.

There is your 10 Billion right there. They did lower their rates for 2012

I'll give them that. But its still 5c per min to call a cell phone from a lan line.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
reviews: 7
4. Re: Now I know...

Keep in mind the Mexican government in about 1993 stole his telephone company in Mexico. He got nothing. They ran it into the ground and then begged him to come back as owner. A little dangerous owning a business in Mexico.

Must be his kids who bought the yacht, because Carlos is tight with a buck and very conservative.

5. Re: Now I know...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:30 pm, February 11, 2014
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
6. Re: Now I know...

I am not upset about it. But in Mexico, Slim is the man everyone loves to hate.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
7. Re: Now I know...

I would add, its the first time I have read about the government stealing the company from Slim. But, I could have missed it.

Playa del Carmen...
8. Re: Now I know...

Telmex's rates are comparative to those in the US. You just need to look for the plan that suits your needs. Also, there are other options for internet, cell and home long distance calls. I find Telmex to be a pretty well run company with decent customer service.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
reviews: 7
9. Re: Now I know...

Slim is an interesting guy, just Google him Robert. He's not Mexican by birth, Lebanese. Orphaned at 16 and a poor orphan to boot, self made billionaire. Married a Lebanese woman and worked his Bu** off. Yes, they socialized his telephone company. When the government asked him to take it back, he had one condition. He wanted the exclusive rights to that thing called a cell phone in Mexico. Who knew?

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
10. Re: Now I know...

I have been reading much about Slim for many years. I have never read anything about the Mexican government stealing his company. This is one biography I read recently.

referenceforbusiness.com/biography/S-Z/Slim-…

If you have something about the government stealing his company, I would like to read it. I have always enjoyed reading about Slim.

I agree that now Telmex has become a well run company with good customer service. They have improved greatly.