We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Iberostar Paraiso Lindo VS Barcelo maya colonial ?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Michigan
Iberostar Paraiso Lindo VS Barcelo maya colonial ?

My wife,4yr old daughter, and I trying to decide where to go both these resorts sound nice. Pool, food and drinks important. Also bigger room with balcony nice view since will have to hang out there once our daughter goes to bed. We have been to moon palace and sandels negril how do these compare?

South Jersey shore
reviews: 3
1. Re: Iberostar Paraiso Lindo VS Barcelo maya colonial ?

I have been debating this also(we travel with our 8-yr old daughter as well).

Here is what I have found from a few weeks of research:

Iberostar Lindo/Maya:

PROS: Food(plus air conditioned restaurants),

Drinks

Nice(new) rooms w/balcony.

Wonderful/huge Pool areas

Use of all restaurants/pools etc.(Del Mar/Beach..which is older and right next door)

CONS: Beach rocky/rough(not great for kids)

HUge complex(a lot of walking--this could be good or bad)

More expensive

Iberostar Del Mar/Beach:

PROS: A bit cheaper than Lindo/Maya(right next door)

Great pool area

WOnderful service

Drinks

Has a more "tropical" feel than Lindo/Maya

CONS: Rooms are older

Beach situation(Same as Lindo/Del Mar)

Non-airconditioned restaurants

Can't use Lindo/Maya restaurants/bars

RIU Palace:

PROS: Great food

Outstanding service(if you like to be waited on)

Nice rooms w/balcony

Great drinks

Nice beach(good for kids)

CONS: Pool is not as impressive as Iberostar

More expensive

Seems to have a more "stuffy" atmosphere(compared to Iberostar. This could be a "Pro" if that is what you want)

IBEROSTAR Tucan:

PROS: NIce beach

Nice rooms w/ balcony

Great food

CONS: Pool bar seperate from main pool(cold)

Pool not as impressive as Lindo/Maya

Older resort(compared to Lindo)

BARCELO COLONIAL/TROPICAL

PROS: NEW

Nice rooms w/balcony

Great beach w/snorkeling from beach

Awesome pool

CONS: Have heard mediocre reviews about food/drink

Borden, Indiana
2. Re: Iberostar Paraiso Lindo VS Barcelo maya colonial ?

Hi! We are in a similar situation. My husband, 3 yr old daughter and I are trying to decide between these exact 2 resorts!

I haven't been to either, but from what I've read I think I'm leaning towards the Barcelo Maya Colonial for 2 reasons:

-it is said that the Barcelo Maya has the BEST, MOST BEAUTIFUL beach in Rivera Maya. (I think I read the beach was rocky at Iberostar Lindo)

-There is an AWESOME "waterpark" area for kids at the Barcelo Maya Colonial. I saw pictures of it at www.unofficial-barcelo-maya.com/home.html I know the Iberostar Lindo has the lazy river which would be nice as well, but in the end I think my daughter would prefer the slides.

In every other way, as far as I can tell, the Iberostar Lindo and Barcelo Maya Colonial are pretty similar. It's a hard choice!

I have a feeling that you really couldn't go wrong with EITHER choice, but for my family I think we will choose the Barcelo Maya Colonial.

We are going in May. When are you going? Whatever you decide...I hope you have a wonderful trip!

Canada
3. Re: Iberostar Paraiso Lindo VS Barcelo maya colonial ?

I haven't stayed at the other resorts, but the water is most times calm to gentle waves at the Barcelo Maya resorts if that is any help. We have had 3 family reunions at the Barcelo Maya and everyone loves it and the food and I hear the food at the newer resorts is even better. There is good selection. We have travelled a fair amount in the Caribbean and Mexico and the Barcelo Maya is the first AI resort where we have chosen to be repeat visitors. They have balconies at all the Barcelo Maya resorts.

Lancaster, PA
reviews: 6
4. Re: Iberostar Paraiso Lindo VS Barcelo maya colonial ?

I only disagree with newmom about 1 point about the Lindo beach. Unless there was a huge change from Wilma rocky beach was not the case when we went in June '05.

NC
reviews: 11
5. Re: Iberostar Paraiso Lindo VS Barcelo maya colonial ?

You can't go wrong with Barcelo

Michigan
6. Re: Iberostar Paraiso Lindo VS Barcelo maya colonial ?

just got a price 5 nights run of the house at barcelo maya tropical end of april 29th to May 4th 3 of us with air $2500 is this good price.......

South Jersey shore
7. Re: Iberostar Paraiso Lindo VS Barcelo maya colonial ?

I forgot to add that we are going with the Barcelo Maya Colonial/Tropical. Up until about 3 weeks I had my mind made up on the Tucan/Quetzel because of the fantastic reviews and nice beach....but over the past few weeks the reviews of the new Barcelo resort changed my mind for these reasons:

-- NEWER resort therefore I am guessing the rooms will be a bit nicer than Tucan(we spend a lot of time in the room).

--The POOLS at the Colonial/Tropical look much more impressive..plus the kids water park area is an added bonus.

--Many more pool/swim-up bars

--Beach looks awesome...plus it sounds like there is great snorkeling from the beach.

--air conditioned restaurants(we are going in the summer so this is a pretty big issue for us)

--generally sounds like a non-party resort, even though its huge. We like it quiet.

--mini golf(putt-putt) course...something nice to do with our daughter in the evenings or cloudy days.

The only drawbacks I can see are:

--- there is a room service fee($3.00)...the Tucan/Quetzel does not charge for room service

---the food gets mediocre reviews(compared to Iberostar or RIUs)..however, we are not big/gourmet eaters so that is not a big issue with us. Just feed us and let us not get sick..thats all we ask. We end up bringing a lot our own food anyway(for our daughter mostly who is the world's pickiest eater..next to myself). We will most likely just stick with the buffets each day since we hate getting dressed up for dinner, plus we travel with a child.

---The service has gotten questionable reviews..compared to RIU Palace particularly, where it sounds like they wait on people hand and foot/pamper you, which is what some people want on vacation. With us, we basically just want to be left alone...we'll get our own drinks at the beach etc, so the "non-pampering" part is actually a plus for us.

The price is about the same for the Tucan/Quetzel versus the Barcelo Colonial/Tropical....the RIU Palace is priced about $600.00(total) more.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 7
8. Re: Iberostar Paraiso Lindo VS Barcelo maya colonial ?

to newmom- We've been the Riu Palace. They don't wait on you "hand & foot". The difference is, there, nothing goes wrong. We travel alot, and this is one place where everything runs like clockwork. Food there is as good as Princess CRuise ship. If you don't want to have to worry about anything going wrong, this is the place.

I don't think kids would have much to do there. No activities for them at all.

South Jersey shore
9. Re: Iberostar Paraiso Lindo VS Barcelo maya colonial ?

Debbie--Thanks for that information..I was under the impression that the Palace was very "posh"(compared to other resorts).

And yes, I forgot to mention that the RIU Palace did not seem the place for young kids.

Borden, Indiana
10. Re: Iberostar Paraiso Lindo VS Barcelo maya colonial ?

"just got a price 5 nights run of the house at barcelo maya tropical end of april 29th to May 4th 3 of us with air $2500 is this good price....... "

Hi! It's hard to say if that's a good price without knowing where you are flying out of. I can tell you that for US going the end of April into early May was more expensive than going in the middle of May. Our travel agent said that is because April is still considered Spring Break, so rates are higher.

We will be flying Delta out of Louisville, Kentucky and connecting in Atlanta. For my husband, my 3 yr old daughter, and I we are paying $3151.56 for 6 nights (that's air and hotel). Travel insurance is extra of course. We are booking our vacation through an agent with FunJet. I researched prices ALOT and FunJet was the cheapest.

I hope this helps! If anyone else out there knows of a better deal PLEASE let me know - we haven't put down the deposit yet. Thanks!