We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crime at the Reef Playacar? Real or Bogus.

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Saint John, Canada
reviews: 7
Crime at the Reef Playacar? Real or Bogus.

Just read a review from a travellers father saying they were robbed at gunpoint at the Reef Plaayacar. Real or Bogus? Cant see it given the high security to get into playacar and then into the resort. Your thoughts?

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 86
1. Re: Crime at the Reef Playacar? Real or Bogus.

And then after you're robbed at gun point you proceed to give the resort 3 stars? Hmmm. I always hate to doubt people's stories but I can't help being a little cynical.

Saint John, Canada
2. Re: Crime at the Reef Playacar? Real or Bogus.

Really sounds like if my 20 year old kid ran out of money, what woould i tell daddy> Very suspect.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 86
3. Re: Crime at the Reef Playacar? Real or Bogus.

If that happened to me (or my son) I think I would have written a bit more about it. Such as, did you report it? What was their reaction to your report? Did they call the security guards to be identified by the victims? It would seem to be the logical thing to do. It’s just a bit too brief. And I just knew before I even went to look for it that it’ll be a single post person. I realize we all have to have a first post, but still..

I do like your idea about running out of money, lol.

St Paul, MN
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
4. Re: Crime at the Reef Playacar? Real or Bogus.

Kimlafit 1 contribution

“Security”

Date of review: Mar 15, 2011 - New

4people found this review helpful. <<<My 20 yr old and his friend were approached my three Mexican "security" guards and asked for their money on the way into their room. After a scuffle they held a gun to his head and made him enter the room where they continued to ransack their room for valuables!!!!>>>

1 post, and they give the resort 3 stars, hmmm. Let's hear from his or her son. Maybe the police or security were looking for drugs or weapons? Maybe the son was doing something illegal? Maybe the parent didn't get the real truth from their son?

I'm so happy now that my kids are in their late 20's and 30's. Those extra years of maturity really help.

Saint John, Canada
5. Re: Crime at the Reef Playacar? Real or Bogus.

Totally agree. All good points. Thanks for the re assurance guys.

ft worth
reviews: 28
6. Re: Crime at the Reef Playacar? Real or Bogus.

If that happened to my kid, I would have done FAR more than make a mention of it in my trip report, all umm heck would have broke loose at that resort..just sayin..me thinks the kiddos were not being entirely honest..

Lynn, Massachusetts
reviews: 11
7. Re: Crime at the Reef Playacar? Real or Bogus.

Read the review as well and I also thought it might be bogus. Hmmm as other posters mentioned they give it three stars, don't elaborate about response from Reef Management, and don't mention where they are from in bio section. Fifty six days and counting before I'm lounging at The Reef!

duluth,mn
reviews: 6
8. Re: Crime at the Reef Playacar? Real or Bogus.

i can only add that the Reef, like many other resorts, has a central walkway that everyone at the resort uses to get from rooms to front lobby,pools or food. none of these rooms are isolated and entrances to these rooms can be seen from this walkway. so everyone at the resort would have witnessed this event

Saint John, Canada
9. Re: Crime at the Reef Playacar? Real or Bogus.

Thanks all. The message was removed by Trip Advisor.

10. Re: Crime at the Reef Playacar? Real or Bogus.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, October 27, 2012