We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Topless or Nude Beaches

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
MEDIAPOLIS
reviews: 5
Topless or Nude Beaches

Will be staying at RIU Palace Mexico (Playa Del Carmen) 3rd week of January 2011. Looking for beaches where nudity or at least toplessness is allowed. Are their public beaches that allow it or do we need to look for private beaches? I have heard that some of the resorts allow it and if so what are some of those resorts. Hidden Beach Resort was mentioned but I can't tell how far that is from RIU Palace Mexico (Playa Del Carmen). Thanks for the help.

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 1
1. Re: Topless or Nude Beaches

I have seen topless on the beaches all over..apparantly not allowed but not enforced. Walking around that way not so much either..as far as nude there are some resorts that allow it but definitely not at the Riu. They will not allow topless at the pool resort area only the beach.

Easton, Maryland
reviews: 23
2. Re: Topless or Nude Beaches

Perhaps this will help

…about.com/od/…nude_beaches.htm

Hagerstown, Maryland
Destination Expert
for Beach Vacations
reviews: 59
3. Re: Topless or Nude Beaches

Hidden Beach Resort is right next to the El Dorado Seaside Suites resort in Playa Kantenah, about 15 minutes north of Tulum. It is an All Inclusive resort, so don't expect to use their facilities. They offer day packages (about $100 pp) but confirm before you go.

You will see topless sunbathers on the beach along the Riviera Maya. There are plenty of gawkers, and unless you find a more secluded spot you may not feel comfortable.

Have fun!

CO
reviews: 11
4. Re: Topless or Nude Beaches

Topless is no biggie in PDC, especially at Mamitas or Kool. Playa Norte on Isla Mujeres is a topless beach and around Cabanas Copal in Tulum is clothing optional. Pretty much anywhere in Tulum there will be topless women and plenty of secluded spots to throw a towel down if you don't want to be at a beach club.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 86
5. Re: Topless or Nude Beaches

A slight clarification :) While some people do go topless on Playa Norte, it is not a topless beach per se. The majority of women on Playa Norte do not go topless. In that it's no different than the beaches on PDC; some go topless, many don't.

Edited: 3:35 pm, December 16, 2010
CO
reviews: 11
6. Re: Topless or Nude Beaches

I wrote about Playa Norte on ISla Mujeres, there is a sign that reads "Please remove your" bikini top and is listed in guidebooks as a topless beach.

What is called Playa Norte in PDC, topless is fairly common, :)

Cape Coral, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 10
7. Re: Topless or Nude Beaches

That's interesting about Playa Norte on Isla. I've never seen such a sign, not that I was looking.

I haven't seen any more topless women on Playa Norte as compared with the beach in Playa del Carmen.

Did see more nudity around Tulum, both male and female.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 86
8. Re: Topless or Nude Beaches

I was talking about Isla Mujeres also. If there is such a sign I'm sure it was put up as a joke. In all the years I've been going, sometimes twice a year, I've never seen more than just a couple of women without their tops on. That's what I meant by it's not different than most beaches on PDC; some go topless, but most don't.

Edited: 4:30 pm, December 16, 2010
Indiana
reviews: 67
9. Re: Topless or Nude Beaches

Here's some info about beaches in the area. If you scroll to the bottom, there is info on nude sunbathing. Read the info under "play it safe".

http://www.locogringo.com/research/beaches

Also remember, if the local boys are taking pictures of you, it's probably not acceptable where you are. We've seen that happen. ;)

KC
reviews: 36
10. Re: Topless or Nude Beaches

I hope we dont see any topless women. My wife wouldnt dream of it-though I might.