We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Palace or Royal Hideaway?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 58
Riu Palace or Royal Hideaway?

I am torn between Riu Palace or Royal Hideaway. Is RH worth spending $1200 more? We are going 5/21-5/28. We are concerned there will be a lot of kids at Riu. What should we do???

Alberta, Canada
reviews: 21
1. Re: Riu Palace or Royal Hideaway?

Hi Azmel. We stayed at the Riu Palace a few years ago. There are very few children there (I think I saw a couple of infants). The families tend to stay at the Riu Playacar as it is geared more towards families. The Riu Palace is a very upscale beautiful hotel and mostly adults. Hope this helps. We have never stayed at the Royal Hideaway so cannot comment.

Fort Collins...
reviews: 2
2. Re: Riu Palace or Royal Hideaway?

We loved the Royal Hideaway, but have no info in Riu. We are planning another trip in April. We have nothing but good things to say about this place.

Springfield...
Destination Expert
for Playa del Carmen
reviews: 18
3. Re: Riu Palace or Royal Hideaway?

The RIU is a very nice place, but if you want an especially luxurious treat, spend the extra $$ and to go the RH.

Southern California
4. Re: Riu Palace or Royal Hideaway?

Hi, I've been to the RP and RH and loved them both. You can't go wrong either way. However, I will say this...I struggle to stay at any other AI resort now that I've been to the Royal Hideaway. Everything about it is luxury. And, the food can not be beat any where. If this is any indication - I first learned of the RH off the food channel several years ago as one of the best AI resorts in Mexico. I also liked how close the pool was to the ocean - I could swim in the pool and feel as if I was in the ocean. And, their Mexican buffet/show (on Wednesdays)is awesome. I would have paid additional money to see it! Personally, I would pay the extra money and go to the Royal Hideaway! Good luck with your decision!

Brick, New Jersey
5. Re: Riu Palace or Royal Hideaway?

We've been to both... We haven't returned to the Royal Hideaway so we can take 2 vacations in Mexico every year rather than one... $!$!$!$!$

You'd probably have a great time at the Riu Palace and, as was said, there are very few kids there...

BUT, I think anyone who needs a special kind of vacation and pampering SHOULD do the Royal Hideaway at least once!

Have a great time wherever you go... LIZ

New York City, New...
reviews: 3
6. Re: Riu Palace or Royal Hideaway?

Hi There,

One point to consider is the time you are traveling. If you don't want kids I wouldn't take a chance in May since alot of schools have started their summer break. We were at the RH the week of Jan 3, 2005 and I have only one complaint......We had to come back home....I loved the RH in every way. It's an upscale resort. They pamper you so much you'll never want to leave. It's so calming and tranquil. So if you want a truly relaxing vacation it would be my choice. If you do go make sure you do at least one spa treatment.

Enjoy.....

Wish I was coming too.

Mesa, Arizona
reviews: 58
7. Re: Riu Palace or Royal Hideaway?

Thanks everyone! I think we will do the RH. Afterall, it's a delayed trip to celebrate our 20th Anniversary. :-)