We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phone cards?

Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Phone cards?

Ok, does anyone have a favorite phone card that is fairly easy and reasonable that could call out of Mexico?

wales
1. Re: Phone cards?

i went last year and found it a lot cheaper to purchase a phonecard at the plaza shopping centre just outside the wyndem miya a lot cheaper than hotels

Maryland
2. Re: Phone cards?

Before I go to Mexico I head to Walmart. The international phone cards are usually by the checkout lanes. I grab 3 of them without getting in line. Then I call the customer service # on the back. You know how it might say 1000 minutes on the front. I ask how many minutes I will lose from the card for each minute I actually talk when calling from Mexico not to Mexico(there is a difference). Then I pick the card that is the best deal. Last time I think I got 165 minutes for $50. The hotel charged a $2 connection fee each time I used it.

Black Hills
reviews: 4
3. Re: Phone cards?

Well you have a couple of options.

Calling Cards such as the ones you buy here in the US do work. For example,

Option 1.

Look for LAdatel/Tel-Mex phone booths. They ALL over Playa and I'll wager there's several within steps of where you might be. AIs have few if any Ladatel/TelMex phones...but we just use them when we're in Playa all up and down and around the off-streets of 5th Ave...North or south, doesn't matter, there are plenty.. (We have all the locations practically memorized in the North end and along 5th where we stop and use them)

We purchased an AT&T card from Sam's years ago. Still use it.

We now have TWO since I bought one for a Physician friend and he never used it...

But it is easy to use, we usually have the numbers memorized quickly each time (they don't change, HA~!)

AND the process IS easier than my clear-as-mud procedure would lend you to believe...

;-)

The phone card has a number you dial (800#) to call out of Mexico.

You wait, hear a ding tone, enter the AT&T access number (Again an 800#). The ding tone again then asks you to input the Calling Card number on the card. Your PIN.

After that, dial the area code and number of the person. If you want to make another call, DON'T hang up...a moment or two after the first person hangs up, it'll ask you to input the area code and number of the next call and so on.

What we've done is to write the numbers in the steps 1.2.3. onto a sticky note, which I've then covered in scotch tape as a way of laminating it. We just add 1000 or 1200 minutes once in a while. In fact the card isn't ever really needed as long as you have the 800#s and your pin number. We have the numbers taped on to the card (Which is then slipped into the same holder ads our ATM Card for Peso withdrawals at ATM machines. Your BEST option for maximizing your USD to PESO Conversion - even with a few fees) ;-)

We've used this for years and actually after a couple of calls you can just whip through it. The International Mexico to US rates are about 9 or 10 minutes to one. We've never run out. You just call the number and add minutes to it with your debit card before you leave. If you ever need to add more minutes, you can do this from Mexico as well.

Option2.

Playa del Carmen is FULL of Internet/Phone Cafes that are easy to use and very inexpensive. Many of them have privacy booths as well. You can use these, as we've done if we find ourselves wanting to call instead of looking for a booth.

Both options are quite easy.

Forgot to mention, the number they see here at home on caller-ID is an 800 number, and I believe, it was the same number each time....so they know it may be you calling and not some pollster asking your opinion on the recent healthcare bill or some other nonsense...

If you need more info, just ask.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 49
4. Re: Phone cards?

If calling out of Mexico, The Telcel/Telmex card is the best option in my opinion. You can buy at almost any little shop where you see the Telcel or Amigo sign. No need for any 800 numbers--you just insert the card in a Telcel/Telmex phone (they are everywhere since they are the only major phone company in Mexico) and make your call. You will see a running balance of your card in the little window on the phone.

Black Hills
reviews: 4
5. Re: Phone cards?

Very true Robert...

It's just that we've always had the phone cards as a backup (Sometimes we have harsh travel weather here in the Black Hills) and had them available for the kiddos to use before Nationwide and No roaming cell plans became the norm.And that card I always carry with me, just in case my cell dies. So it works for us here and on trips to MX.

Since we already had them in place, we just use them in MX. I will say the Telmex/Telcel card is a superior option for most AND the have some great designs and make for a nice souvenir too!

My wife's folks brought some back from the Bora-Bora/Tahiti/ Moorea area and they're a part of their shoebox/photo memories!

Regina, Canada
reviews: 15
6. Re: Phone cards?

Tel mex is easiest, and cheapest. imho.

Wisconsin
reviews: 39
7. Re: Phone cards?

These Tel Mex cards can they be used from your room phone at El Coz.?

8. Re: Phone cards?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 01, 2010