We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Playacar del riviera whatnot?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wiltshire, U.K.
reviews: 1
Playacar del riviera whatnot?

Could anyone please explain if Playacar is different to Playa Del Carmen and is the Riviera Maya the same place as well???? I am hoping to stay at Riu Palace Mexico. The brochure says Playacar but everyone here seems to call it Playa Del Carmen.

If they are different which is best?

Please help...

Also do the hotels here have air conditioning on all year round?

Thanks.

Lakeshore/Wisconsin
reviews: 9
1. Re: Playacar del riviera whatnot?

Playacar is a gated community approx. 5 minutes outside of the city of Playa del Carmen. When brochures state the Riviera Maya they are basically talking about Playa del Carmen all the way down to Tulum. You fly into Cancun and the Riviera Maya is south of that city.

B.C. Canada
reviews: 16
2. Re: Playacar del riviera whatnot?

The Riu Palace Mexico has excellent air conditioning. When we were there in Dec last year the maid had turned the thermostat down to about 12C. and it was freezing when we came in one evening. Had to turn it off and open the patio doors to warm the room up.

As was said the Palace is in Playacar and about 5 minute 40 peso taxi ride from downtown Playa del Carmen. Or a 20/25 minute walk.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 19
3. Re: Playacar del riviera whatnot?

The area of the hotel is Playacar and the town is Playa del Carmen which is a 4$US cab ride or a 40 minute walk. It is safe to walk and very nice homes to look at along the way.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 7
4. Re: Playacar del riviera whatnot?

A good source of info is www.mapchick.com

click on aerial views of hotels, it gives pictures of the area on a map with mileage of each resort to town of PDC,

She sells maps $8.00 of the area. Highly informative with locations of resorts and tons of tourist info.

Order the Riviera Maya map. It will be a tremendous help to your planning.

Wiltshire, U.K.
reviews: 1
5. Re: Playacar del riviera whatnot?

You guys are so helpful... When we originally thought of Mexico we just assumed we should stay in Cancun. I'm so glad we have done a little research on this forum. Playa looks much more our sort of place and is in the middle of the riviera so we can easily take a trip up or down the coast if we feel inclined.

Have just looked at the maps.... Thankyou so much for suggesting them. I feel a lot better now about my choice of the Riu palace in Playacar. I've read that you can use the facilities of other Riu hotels (eg. disco), but until I saw the map I didn't realise they are just up/down/across the road, (easily within staggering distance!) The aerial photos look great. I suggest everyone who's not familiar with "playacarmen del maya" (or whatever it's called) takes a look.