We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ferry in Playa to Cozumel Airport??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Playa del Carmen hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Aurora, Colorado
reviews: 1
Ferry in Playa to Cozumel Airport??

How hard is it to take the ferry from Playa to Cozumel airport? When we dock in Cozumel, how far is the airport from the ferry dock and how long would it take to get there. How much would a taxi cost from the dock to the Cozumel Airport. We are flying standby and feel we might have a better chance to get out of Cozumel rather than Cancun on July 4th.

Thanks.

Savannah, GA
reviews: 69
1. Re: Ferry in Playa to Cozumel Airport??

My friend,

You can check "flight fullness" by calling the airlines. I suggest you read

ticked.com/cheapcharlie/2001/chstandby.htm

www.answers.com/topic/standby-air-travel

and other Google results.

Bring a good book.

Good luck

Savannah, GA
reviews: 69
2. Re: Ferry in Playa to Cozumel Airport??

Also

If you go to Cancun there are many many more flights and I would think many many more chances to get on a flight to somewhere. I would also think that flying to a hub airport like Atlanta or Charlotte

would get you a better chance on continuing onto you destination the, say, a flight from Cancun to Shreveport, LA or Appleton, WI. (Not that they are not lovely places to spend a few days.)

Michigan
reviews: 7
3. Re: Ferry in Playa to Cozumel Airport??

Cozumel airport very close to ferry dock. $5 cab ride at the most. Many cabs available right at the ferry dock.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
4. Re: Ferry in Playa to Cozumel Airport??

Probably afaybik has a tie to one airline if flying standby so going to Cancun may or may not help. I had the same situation also and was limited to one daily Cozumel flight or several to that airlines hubs from Cancun.

Shakopee, Minnesota
reviews: 8
5. Re: Ferry in Playa to Cozumel Airport??

Ya ...Robert, I think you are right! Sometimes these standby airline perks are actually a handicap. Hope the mommy has a lot of seniority!

Aurora, Colorado
reviews: 1
6. Re: Ferry in Playa to Cozumel Airport??

Actually Robert and Mr. Viking, you are both correct. My daughter has a choice of three flights out of Cancun on Frontier all of which are quite full or she can take the ferry to Cozumel and catch the one Frontier flight from there on Wednesday that is quite wide open which is probably what she will do since her boyfriend is on a buddy pass and she is on my flight benefits with high seniority. Last week I went to Playa with 2 friends and had no trouble flying out of Denver on Frontier but when we had to return we could not get on a Frontier flight and ended up taking Continential to Houston - no problem there but getting out of Houston was another story!!!! Tried several flights and couldn't get on - ended up taking a flight to Alburbuque, New Mexico and had to wait for several flights before we could catch a Frontier flight to Denver!!! It ended up taking us almost 24 hours - the joys of flying standby non-rev!!!!!

P.S. You are right Robert my daughter only has one choice and that being Frontier Airlines. Since she is over 24 years old she can only fly on Frontier and no other airline.

7. Re: Ferry in Playa to Cozumel Airport??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:20 am, September 04, 2009