We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bus advice from Cancun to Merida

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver,
bus advice from Cancun to Merida

My family of 6 -- 2 adults & 4 kids -- are arriving in Cancun next week. We are then heading to Chicxulub/Progreso by bus. Can anyone tell me about the bus system? Specifically, is it crucial that we reserve bus tickets in advance? If yes, is it realistic to reserve in the early evening (when we land) for a bus the next morning? Also, I know it's a 4-hour trip straight through to Merida/Progreso. Is there any way we can make stops along the way for short periods (to be "touristy"!). Or will we have to stay on the same bus all the way from Cancun to our final destination?

Also, I'm trying to get a handle on distances ... we land in Cancun airport and stay one night at the Radisson Hotel. I think the address is Av.Carlos Nader Lotes. Is that far from the airport and/or bus station?

Dublin
reviews: 3
1. Re: bus advice from Cancun to Merida

funz,

did the trip on bus in November, the bus depot in Cancun is in the main town of Cancun which I think is where the Raddison is rather than on the Bld where the resort hotels all are so you'll be close to the bus depot once you get into town. Airport is about 20 kms from the town.

You have a good few different options in terms of buses, not sure if you have used the bus before in Mexico but they range from 2nd class which you can't reservice seats on, are cheaper and more for local transport (plenty of stops as well) to super delux coaches with air con, recliner seats and the like.

the best bet though and the one that i used was the ADO first class which is one step up from the second class, air con, etc. you can book your tickets in the station if your there about 30 minutes early and shouldn't be a problem. This is a direct bus to Merdia but if you want to do touristy you can get a bus from Cancun to Chetzen itza get off there for a few hours and then hop onto the afternoon bus to Merdia. Luggage check area in chetchen itza and get probably 4 hours in there.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
2. Re: bus advice from Cancun to Merida

The bus terminal in Cancun is close to the Radisson. I often walk it with only carry on luggage but will be a inexpensive taxi ride.

Use either ADO first class or ADO-GL buses to Merida. Both are very nice rest room equipped buses with movies, the GL buses having more leg room and mens and ladies rest rooms.

You can go to www.ticketbus.com.mx and see ADO schedules and prices. You can also reserve your seats there in advance but the tickets need to be purchased at least two hours prior to departure.

Hope this helps. Any other questions, let me know. I make the trip to Merida by ADO often.

Merida
Destination Expert
for Merida
reviews: 78
3. Re: bus advice from Cancun to Merida

Be sure to bring a sweater or sweatshirt on the bus. They keep them very air-conditioned and it can get cold.

4. Re: bus advice from Cancun to Merida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:17 pm, August 21, 2009