We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Progreso/Chicxulub during December/January

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sacramento, CA
Progreso/Chicxulub during December/January

I am looking at visiting the area for two weeks. We will be in there the week of Christmas and the first week of January. Is this a good time to visit the area? What is the weather really like? Are the "Nortes" usually very cold, and do the distrupt a nice warm vacation What is the ocean like this time of year?

Any suggestions on where to stay (we prefer a house/condo on the beach with a pool). Please any feedback from anyone who has been in the area during this time of year would be great.

Merida, Yucatan
1. Re: Progreso/Chicxulub during December/January

rykanz,

during a two week period at the end of the year you can get a variety of weather. The majority of the time it will be pleasantly warm (80-85ª), sunny, with a nice breeze. IF a norte does blow in, it will get cooler (70-75ish), greyish, windy and possibly bring rain and should last 24 - 36 hours then clear up. The fact that you will be here two weeks means that having a day or two of norte weather will not wreck your vacation. Mind you, there could be more than one norte.

The Gulf of Mexico water in the winter is"fresh" - the locals find it cold while snowbirds from the north find it to be quite do-able. At this time of the year, the water also varies in color from a "cafe latte" brown to a clean green - depending on the wind, if there's a norte, etc. The water does take a while to settle after a norte - there's lots of churned up seaweed and sand that has to re-settle. You will find no currents or ebb tides making it a very swimmer friendly area.

The beach area is VERY popular with snowbirds who rave about the weather so it must be good.

I have a beach home with pool that I rent in Telchac Puerto. Let me know if you would like more info.

Sacramento, CA
2. Re: Progreso/Chicxulub during December/January

YucatanGal,

I'd love to get more info on your property at Telchac Puerto. Yo can email me at rykanz@gmail.com with details.

Thanks!

Merida, Yucatan
3. Re: Progreso/Chicxulub during December/January

Hola! Did you receive my private mail with info on the house? Just wondering if I cut and pasted correctly!

4. Re: Progreso/Chicxulub during December/January

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, August 18, 2009