We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Check Please

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Budapest
Itinerary Check Please

After considering advice on this forum & Cancun, consulting ADO's bus schedule, and looking at the maps I got in the mail...thanks for sending them to Saudi, MapChick...I think I have a plan. Suggestions are always welcomed. Keep in mind that I am not a lay on the beach person and I will be arriving in Cancun after a 10 day Yoga Calm retreat in Guatemala, so I will be ready to be active.

Day 1: Arrive 12:20pm and head to Playa del Carmen

Day 2: Snorkel/horseback & Xcaret overnight PdC

Day 3: Dive (bus to Tulum & overnight there)

Day 4: Coba & Tulum Ruins (bus to Valladolid & overnight there)

Day 5: Chichen Itza & Ek balam (bus to Merida & overnight there)

Day 6: Merida

Day 7: Merida

Day 8: Merida & bus back to Cancun

Day 9: Fly out early morning

I could do Chichen Itza from Merida instead of Valladolid leaving more time for Cenotes and Ek Balam on my Valladolid day. I wanted to get to Merida on Thursday night (Day 5) as there seems to be live music then. I wish there was a bus from Valladolid to Coba. Then I would spend two nights in Valladolid.

If anyone knows of a nice B&B/small hotel in any of these areas, I would love to hear about it. I am not too worried about the price, but would like something nice and homey.

Thanks in advance.

Cape Cod
1. Re: Itinerary Check Please

Here are a few suggestions to your itinerary:

Days 1-3, no opinion. Others are more expert on the east coast.

Day 4: Cobá & Tulum Ruins (bus to Valladolid & overnight there). I think this is too much, especially as you are traveling by bus. But I suppose it is doable. Certainly reverse the order of the ruins, obviously, visiting Tulum first, then Cobá as a stopover on the way to Valladolid.

Day 5: Chichen Itza & Ek balam (bus to Merida & overnight there). Again, doable, but you'll be rushed. Chichen Itza really needs to be visited in either the early morning or late afternoon, to avoid the crush of crowds and vendors, but based on your schedule you'll need to visit Ek Balam first, because Chichen is on the way to Merida.

Day 6-9. No comments.

Overall, I'd adjust your schedule thus: Move visiting Tulum to one of the beach days. On your travel day to Valladolid, plan on a stopover at Cobá only. Enjoy Valladolid, visiting the church, cenotes, etc., with the time you have there.

Overnight in Valladolid, then head out early to Chichen Itza, which means skipping Ek Balam. I'd replace it with a visit to Uxmal and the Puuc ruins one day you have for Merida. Also, if you arrive early enough in Valladolid the day before, grab a taxi and take in Ek Balam then, which is beautiful in the afternoon sun.

After visiting Chichen and if time, Balancanche cave, catch the early afternoon bus to Merida.

That's what I would do.

Have a great trip!

Merida, Mexico
reviews: 2
2. Re: Itinerary Check Please

As for B&B's in Valladolid, www.casa-quetzal.com and in Merida www.cascadasdemerida.com

While in Valladolid, see if you can include a visit to Casa de los Venados---- they have a private collection of some 3000 pieces of Mexican handcrafts and folk art--- one of the largest private collections in Mexico. They do tours at 10:30 AM.

You have a very nice itinerary ---enjoy your trip! When are you planning on doing this trip?

3. Re: Itinerary Check Please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:42 pm, June 21, 2013