We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convenient place to buy a SIM card

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis, MN
reviews: 15
Convenient place to buy a SIM card

Our flight doesn't get in until 9:00 pm, so the next morning we'll be looking for a place to buy a SIM card for our phone. We'll be staying close to the English Library and would prefer some place within about a mile walk from there. Can you tell me where the best place to buy a card is? Thanks.

nashville
reviews: 1
1. Re: Convenient place to buy a SIM card

Yes...i would like to know this as well. I have an unlocked Motorola phone that I bought in Europe. I suppose that this will work in Mexico? Thanks

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
reviews: 40
2. Re: Convenient place to buy a SIM card

SIM cards are purchasable at TelCel offices and resellers. Not sure about the exact location of each one, but the resellers are EVERY WHERE. Just look for the logo and go in and ask "Donde puedo comprar un SIM para mi telefono?"

Minneapolis, MN
3. Re: Convenient place to buy a SIM card

Thanks, Bill.

Nurse--In addition to using it in Europe, I've used my unlocked Motorola in Nicaragua so I assume it would also be fine in Mexico.

Minneapolis, MN
4. Re: Convenient place to buy a SIM card

I'm in Merida right now and thought I'd update this if someone is still interested in the question. We found a Telcel stand right in the shops area on (I believe the north side) of the main square in the shaded collonaded area. We were able to buy a SIM card (ask for a cheeeep) and also purchased additonal minutes. It was interesting in that we'd heard that people are asked for ID; we weren't, and I think what the woman was doing was just giving them a name and asddrress that they must always use in situations like this. At least that is what I think was going on. Don't expect English-speaking help though.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
5. Re: Convenient place to buy a SIM card

Ho much was it, if you don´t mind me asking or rather if you don't mind answering :)

Minneapolis, MN
6. Re: Convenient place to buy a SIM card

The chip was 150 with maybe 10 minutes on it. We bought extra minutes for 200. I can't remember how many minutes we bought. Maybe 50. We've only used the phone for local area calls.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
7. Re: Convenient place to buy a SIM card

Thanks!

Santa Fe New Mexico
8. Re: Convenient place to buy a SIM card

I have a Nokia phone with a UK provider contract (I am back and forth between UK and US a couple times a year, so keep this phone). Given comments above wondering if I should take this phone to Mexico next week and buy the SIM locally. Any advice, thanks!

London ON
reviews: 12
9. Re: Convenient place to buy a SIM card

FYI - When our cell phone at our rented villa did not work, Joaquin C. took us to the Telcel outlet at the Gran Plaza (north end of Merida). We bought a phone using our villa address for $299 mx. We also bought $500 mx worth of time. We stayed for 6 weeks, so the price seemed fair.

I don't know if it was a special promotion or not, but if we had bought less than $500 mx we would not have gotten the following:

We were able to record 5 Canadian telephone numbers to our new Mexican cell phone. We could call any of these 5 Canadian numnbers anytime and talk for up to 15 minutes at a time and the cost was 5 or 6 pesos per call.

We also received an additional 500 free minutes.

As far as we know this was a great deal. We called our 2 boys, my wife's mother, and the other 2 numbers at least twice a week. we called numerous numbers from Telchac Puerto and beyond to Merida, Progreso, Valladolid, etc and we still had over 100 minutes left on our phone when we boarded our return flight from cancun.

When we stayed in Telchac P. 2 years ago we spent much more on cell phone minutes and used the cell phone much less.

Thanks Joaquin.

Edited: 6:59 pm, March 17, 2011
Santa Fe New Mexico
10. Re: Convenient place to buy a SIM card

Thanks, it does sound like a great deal!