We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

hurricane relief in merida

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Merida hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Phoenix
hurricane relief in merida

Desparately seeking news about Cancun evacuation and American refugees going to Merida from Cancun. Does anyone have current info? Is the highway open? Have several friends trying to find safe shelter in Merida.

Anyone who knows anything about the latest there--please post. Many thanks.

Merida, Yucatan
1. Re: hurricane relief in merida

Hello...Cancun road is not re-opened yet to the public because there are some floods that only buses or pick ups can go thru.

Regular buses running, so tell them to go directly to the bus station.

Please tell your friends to email me, call me, etc so I can help them from Merida.

nacho@operadoratramuntana.com

(52-999) 9480282 Office

(52-999) 129-5574 Mobile

Regards

Boston, MA
reviews: 5
2. Re: hurricane relief in merida

Merida hotels are heavily booked, used this website to book hotels with success. However hotels now saying they are booked, word on the ground is that they have rooms so you might want to try calling hotels directly if you can't get a booking through this site. My brother got off a bus last night and there were literally hundreds of other people looking for hotels, fortunately I had booked ahead. Roads were still flooded leaving Cancun, his taxi was towed across floods and strangers helped to get it going again.

reviews: 1
3. Re: hurricane relief in merida

How we got out...........buy a Ladatel/Telmex phone card.....find a phone with an "ABC' button in the top right side of the buttons.......push the ABC button, it will tell you to enter the phone card........dial 001 and then the us phone number (we used the 800 to Contiental airlines gave to us at the US Embassy table they have set up in the airport) have a pen and paper ready, you will need to book the flights on your credit card and write down the confirmation number, write it down twice, you need at the ticket counter and again if you get a connecting flight because you will get hand wrote boarding passes.

There was my husband , me and another couple traveling with us. Going and getting in line at the ticket counters to different airlines was useless---un real prices to get to Mexico City and maybe a flight out of Mexico City in a few days!

We used the embassy desk's 800 number and bought the tickets with our credit card, the men then immediate took a cab to the hotel, had the cab wait, grabbed the luggage, while the girls went to Contiental counter (the first counter to the left and I think west, not the five hour long line next to it for the european travelers---do not stand in the wrong lines-------go to the embassy desk girls and they will get you thru and in the right place) It cost us $ 2,080 dollars for four people to go to Houston and then Pensacola, a little over 500 a piece or wait, uninformed for days more-------Delta would fly us from Mexico City on Nov3 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Contiental is one of the airlines adding flights asap and they try to fill EVERY seat before leaving. We had to stay overnight in Houston because they had to give us tickets to P"cola this morning but they told us if our flight got to Houston in time we could the last late flight to Pensacola instead of waiting. We didn't quite make it........but I know all four of us didn't mind at least staying in Houston overnite. People next to us on the plane had hand-out clothes on, no luggage, and had been on the Cancun diet---no refrigration for the shelter food they handed out to them. Don't count the dollars, just get out.

I watched CNN as soon as I got home, and we had been rescheduled for today instead of Sunday by Delta --who never answered their lines--but family in the US looked on the net and seen we were rescheduled-------how were we to know?? Plus CNN shows the flights ARE RUNNING OUT OF CANCUN ANYWAY still

If they need rooms in Merida two of the ones our resort used was Hotel d Champs and the Espanio...........good luck

michigan
4. Re: hurricane relief in merida

the road to merida is open. The airport is flying out as many as it can. I spoke with Mexicana Airline and they said that they are flying everyone out without reservations. They are just evacuating. The US government has booked rooms at the Fiesta Americana, as well as the Holiday Inn in Merida. Best tour guides win. Good Luck with your friends. If they make it to Merida at least they have water, electric and plumbing. They've made it!

Mexico
reviews: 2
5. Re: hurricane relief in merida

Try the smaller hotels...everyone has water, electricity, beds, etc. here in Merida. Go to Yucatan Today website for a listing of small hotels. Buena suerte!