We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Convince me then !

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stafford, England...
reviews: 2
Convince me then !

So my big trip is nearly planned, Flights are booked so it's defiantly a go!, I have 21 nights , 10 of which are going to be in orlando having a crazy fun time on the theme parks and the rest 11 nights in mexico a country which I am very beryl excited to see, at first it was a straight forward decision 11 nights in cancun, but how things changed after reading and hearing from friends etc, I got recommended playa del carmen and I love the look of it, I thought 11 nights there, now I've seen isla mejures, and people are saying why not 7 nights playa del carmen 4 nights isla mejures? So go on then guys convince me that sounds like a plan!? There are a few areas close to playa which I want to visit so I think at least 7 nights in playa is must for us, but hey tell me what you would do with your 11 nights in mexico? First trip for me and my girlfriend by the way !

34 replies to this topic
New Carlisle, Ohio
reviews: 7
1. Re: Convince me then !

Seems like you would probably be happiest in Cancun.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 25
2. Re: Convince me then !

I would just stay at Disney World for 21 days....... LOL!

Ontario
reviews: 126
3. Re: Convince me then !

You 2 above..you're so silly lol. :-) To be fair, 10 days in Orlando would do me in...that's way too much time for me (but I spent every year in that area from the time I was 9 til I was 36). Check out the Disney hopper stuff...might save some cash as it's not cheap. I still have vivid memories the one year that it was pretty chilly and I paid about $80 for an awesome "Grumpy"..7 dwarfs..sweatshirt...still have it and wear it..and it fits! lol

I commented on other posts...7 nights Playa (lots of things to pick from...Tulum, Akumal, Cozumel, Puerto Morelos etc.) then 4 nights to be a slug on the island and recharge. There's a number of things to do there too but what I like the most (about the downtown/centro area) is that it's so compact that it takes pretty much no time to get to where you want to be. For me, my number 1 is the eastern malecon in downtown/centro...great spot to be quiet and go for a walk, lots of photo ops. Punta Sur (south end) is a 'must go' for me..that eastern coast line reminds me of Hawaii a bit...very nice down there. Restaurants, bars, shopping..all easily found. Chill out at local places for some great food. Beautiful sunsets. Can go on and on lol. Depends on what you're looking for I suppose.

For Ixchel fans...what happened to their aerial virtual...it's gone..total bummer...that was so awesome to look at! Says 'fatal' something or other as a message..don't know what happened|?

Ontario
4. Re: Convince me then !

Maybe this will help you on your research path:

www.cancunmap.com/isla-mujeres-hotels.html

Myrtle Beach, South...
reviews: 6
5. Re: Convince me then !

i would strongly recommend Cozumel for its world class diving and snorkeling..its a relatively painless ferry ride from PDC

New York City, New...
6. Re: Convince me then !

I got exhausted just reading your post.Sounds like you've got to much energy for Isla.Agree with Gtrekker, just stay in Disney til you drop.

Ontario
7. Re: Convince me then !

doodle396..I don't think it's about 'too much energy for Isla'...they are coming from England...they want to see and experience things. I was no different when I went to their country..I happily exhausted myself for my trip there. :-)

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
8. Re: Convince me then !

Realize Playa is a large city of 150,000 people & tourists

A recent Australian wanted out of there as it was too busy

So if you don't mind this - great. If not, there are condos, hotels, AIS , casitas, Villas south

What type of accommodation did you want?

Ontario
9. Re: Convince me then !

Sorry, but I read about the Australian (who has a child with them) and felt they didn't do their research and that's why they were disappointed. Unfortunate for them (sincerely). At first, they didn't see the glass as half full..they saw it as half empty. Ben S has clearly stated that he is interested in seeing other places while having the beach as something to come home to at the end of the day. They can achieve that in PDC imo.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 25
10. Re: Convince me then !

In my younger years i would have preferred Cancun. It was our first taste of Mexico and i really liked it. Until we took a day trip to Isla.....Then that changed everything!

If it was me i would spend all 21 days on Isla!

Since the poster wants a 11 day taste of Mexico i would do 7 days at PDC then 4 on Isla as WIBS suggested.

This way you get a taste of both areas then after your stay you can make up your mind on future trips to the area.

It does sound like Isla might be a bit slow for the poster but only they can answer that question.

Reply to: Convince me then !
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted