We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Isla M. relatively safe for a solo female?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Boston...
reviews: 21
Is Isla M. relatively safe for a solo female?

I will be traveling solo to IM in March. I would like to explore the island via bike and moped and was wondering if it is relatively safe to do. Are there areas to avoid walking alone in, etc?

Also, I would like to exercise while there. Is there a good area to get a run in around dusk? I will be staying in the Centro part of the island. It seems like there isn't a long stretch of beach that is good for this.

Thanks for your advice!

Wyoming
reviews: 11
1. Re: Is Isla M. relatively safe for a solo female?

I have been to Isla solo many times. I feel very safe. I do take normal precautions at night and I trust my gut. I am willing to bet it is safer than Boston...that was not meant to be an insult.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 78
2. Re: Is Isla M. relatively safe for a solo female?

Ummm.... After probably a cumulated time of 2 months traveling solo to the island these past years, i can say: don't worry! I can't think of a better place to travel to alone. Probably why I keep coming back!

Can't answer the jogging question as exercising is against my religion. ;)

Edited: 2:31 pm, December 09, 2013
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
3. Re: Is Isla M. relatively safe for a solo female?

I do walk - you won't find long stretches of beach to walk or run, but I do manage to walk - I am always in centro, so start on the malecon and walk about 1/2 way down the island. Do you have a mapchick map?? That would help too. :)

Bethlehem...
reviews: 10
4. Re: Is Isla M. relatively safe for a solo female?

Been going to the island, mainly solo for 25 years. Just use common sense as you would anywhere and you will be fine. It's one of the few places I travel alone as well as Akumal and Puerto Morelos.

I also found that you are only alone on Isla as much as you want you be. Full of friendly visitors and Islenos alike!

Isla Mujeres
reviews: 81
5. Re: Is Isla M. relatively safe for a solo female?

We meet many solo female travelers on the Island. I do always recommend people use good judgment which sometimes one's judgment can be in relaxed mode while on vacation. Use the same precautions you would use at home.

As for exercising, many people run around the air strip. If you head further South you can run along the malecon. March isn't too bad heat wise but do stay hydrated. You can also rent bikes & paddle boards both fun ways to see the Island on land or by water. There are a few gyms too. If you are interested in an exercise group or buddy, post of Isla Mujeres Community Board on Facebook. There are lots of people who live on the Island that run/jog/walk/bike regularly.

If you are familiar with riding a moto/scooter than by all means rent one & explore. If you are a novice, I would recommend a golf cart. I have seen too many people get hurt on scooters.

Depending when you are coming in March there may be a lot of solo female travelers! From the 7th through the 9th, the We Move Forward Women's convention is held on the Island. They have a few events open to the public. You can check out their website at www.wemoveforward.com The first Thursday, March 6th is the Isla Mujeres Artist Fair in the square from 4 to 7pm. This is a super fun event to meet artists, other travelers, foreign residents & locals. It is a big event that brings everyone together in a very fun social setting celebrating art & our local culture. There are also other Isla events that a single traveler could attend & meet up with lots of nice people. Villa La Bella hosts a weekly happy hour on Fridays from 5 to 7pm. Bahia Tortuga hosts the Sol Rockers every Sunday at 6pm. Fenix has a great Cuban band on Sundays at 2pm with some wonderful local salsa dancers.

If you are interested in volunteering you can meet some of the nicest people on the Island with the biggest hearts. Contact Zapatos para los ninos at http://www.islazapatos.blogspot.mx/ & hand out shoes to very deserving & excited young kids. If you are an animal person you can walk dogs or volunteer at Isla Animals. Check out their website at www.islaanimals.org In the public school system, Heather Jones of Alogham Naom is teaching English to over 200 1st graders in the four public schools. She loves volunteers to help out with story time. You can contact Heather at heather.louise2@gmail.com Heather is the teacher we have been collecting books for. We hope by the end of March to have enough books for each public school to have a public English library. Right now they are cataloguing every book by title, subject & author so that they can have an online library also. So if you have a little extra room, we encourage you to head to your local Salvation Army or resale store & purchase some paperback (less heavy) children's books in English for the local kids of Isla!

Enjoy your time on Isla!

Boston...
reviews: 21
6. Re: Is Isla M. relatively safe for a solo female?

Wow. This is fantastic information. If all of you are any indication of the type of people I will be meeting, I have a great vacation ahead of me.

One more thing... I know that IM has few beaches, but are there any that are a little more secluded and/or off the beaten path? I will be staying close to Playa Norte but plan on exploring all of them.

WolrabRoil: Thank you for posting so much information. That conference actually looks great. Sadly I will miss the artist's fair as I don't arrive until the 8th.

P.S. I just ordered a mapchick map!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 79
7. Re: Is Isla M. relatively safe for a solo female?

You'll find Playa Norte the most crowded, especially in high season. If you take a cab or golf cart to Capitan Dulce beach club you'll find it much less crowded and often pretty much to yourself.

For jogging the malecon is great, then continue along the airport strip. I prefer early in the morning to dusk but you should have no problems. Don't run when it's getting dark; it's harder to see uneven pavement, missing grates, or things sticking up on the road and you could take a nasty tumble. Voice of experience here ;)

Wyoming
reviews: 11
8. Re: Is Isla M. relatively safe for a solo female?

LOL NY....I should have elaborated on that myself. I walk a lot, but miss a lot because I am always looking down! Honestly, the sidewalks, streets and even the malecon are a force to be reckoned with. Sometimes there is just this piece if rebar sticking up out if nowhere....and the guy wires....well, just be safe...and have a great time!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 79
9. Re: Is Isla M. relatively safe for a solo female?

LOL, no kidding. I always come home with a black and blue toe or two. I call it my souvenir from Isla :)

Minnesota
reviews: 3
10. Re: Is Isla M. relatively safe for a solo female?

I would not walk alone on the airport strip after about 9pm or so. Some years back some purses were snatched there.

There are neighborhoods on the island where I feel very safe walking alone at night and do so. People come outside their houses to cool off near the street and socialize.