We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Activity advice

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Manitoba
reviews: 2
Activity advice

We will be in isla Mujeres Dec 26 til Jan 3 with 2 teenagers. We would like to do an ATV excursion, swimming with dolphins and fishing(adults choice). Does anyone have any recommendations on which companies to use or avoid? Is it better to book online or wait until we are there?

This is our first time bringing the kids and first trip to Isla Mujeres and want to make it extra special!

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 72
1. Re: Activity advice

Isla doesn't have ATV excursions, or at least I never heard of one, but then again I wasn't looking for one either, lol. If they're older teens they may want to try their hand (feet?) at SUP, which can be rented at Fenix beach club. There's a small zip line at Garrafon Park, and since you're doing the dolphin swim you may want to combine it with the park in a package deal.

Lenexa, Kansas
reviews: 91
2. Re: Activity advice

Perhaps you should read a recent post on swimming with dolphins. I believe the only ATV excursion is at XPlor which is south of Playa del Carmen. They now have the park open late at night which might be fun. Many activities that you may wish to do, such as swimming with turtles at Akumal, Tulum, XCaret, XPlor, Coba, and Xel-Ha are all located south of PDC which is over an hour south of Cancun. You may want to do some research if you like to be active.

Manitoba
reviews: 2
3. Re: Activity advice

My 17 yr old wants to go on a dune buggy and we do not mind going back to Cancun for that.

Ontario
reviews: 94
4. Re: Activity advice

Fishing - check top right under "How do I arrange a fishing trip?" There's lots of contacts there for you that people have experienced a fishing trip with.

ATV / Dune buggies – You’ll have to return to the mainland for that. Maybe check out Selvatica (I haven’t gone with them but they are on my wish list – I love canopying!) http://selvatica.com.mx/#tours

Des Moines, Iowa
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 3
5. Re: Activity advice

There are ATV excursions on the mainland, this one with CARM combines, atvs, cenotes and ziplines

http://tinyurl.com/k2thpvk

Lenexa, Kansas
6. Re: Activity advice

Mapchick has a great recommendation for you. I LOVE swimming in cenotes and I bet your teenagers will find this one of the best activities on the trip. If you have been on zip lines before, the ones on the Yucatan Peninsula don't compare with others, such as Costa Rica. Where lots of sunscreen if you zip line at XPlore as you are exposed to the sun quite a bit. If you have the time do take a day to head to Akumal to snorkel with the turtles. It is an amazing time. I have also seen sting rays each time I have been there.

Boston...
reviews: 22
7. Re: Activity advice

there are two different places I know of for the ATV excursion. I've been to both and they each have their merits. I have included the links to both below. Of the two Selvatica was my favorite. The zip lines were absolutely amazing, but XPLOR was also a great day.If you decide on either of there day adventures know you will have a bit of a ride to get there. It is probably 2-21/2 hours of travel involved in getting there. Check out the two sites and you can decide if it's what you are looking for.

http://www.xplor.travel/

http://selvatica.com.mx/

For the dolphin experience Dolphin discovery right on Isla has provide everything you are looking for.

Edited: 9:23 pm, July 12, 2013
Lenexa, Kansas
8. Re: Activity advice

Rick - Where is Selvetica located? I have never heard of this place. I just looked it up and it seems great. I like the roller coaster zip line.

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 7
9. Re: Activity advice

Isla Contoy with Captain Tony Garcia would be a good choice for your family, Look for his reviews on this site

Boston...
reviews: 22
10. Re: Activity advice

I'm not sure the exact address but it's about half way between Cancun and Playa del Carmen. When I went there I took a bus and after everyone from the Hotel Zone was picked up it probably took 40-45 minutes to get there. If you are into high adventure then Selvatica it an awesome day. I had a blast on the ziplines and human coaster. Then again I liked jumping off the bungee tower, so consider the source of this information.:-)