We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Don't want to leave paradise, but

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fort Nelson, Canada
reviews: 7
Don't want to leave paradise, but

I frequently see questions about day trippers to Isla, but what about a day trip to Cancun? I love relaxing, sitting at the beach and people watching and know that Isla is perfect for me. However, i wondered about taking the ferry to the Cancun hotel zone, is there much to see/do in that area (other than big hotel/resorts and lots of people, and vendors selling hats and T-shirts)?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 92
1. Re: Don't want to leave paradise, but

I've never stayed in Cancun but as I understand it, while the beach is gorgeous it's relatively difficult to access because all the hotels that are built right next door to each other. Yes, the beach is public but just like the King's Bath on Isla, reaching it may be another story.

Cancun also offers shopping and nightlife--if these activities interest you I'd check out the "Things to Do" on the Cancun page. But as close as Cancun is, most Isla visitors come to Isla precisely because it isn't Cancun.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 84
2. Re: Don't want to leave paradise, but

If the weather is really bad on Isla, Cancun might be a good place to spend the day shopping in some of it's malls. Nightlife might be another draw but since the last ferry back is around 11:30, which is when most places just get started, unless you're spending the night, it would be difficult to enjoy it. There's not much to see in the hotel zone except mega resorts lining the road, and as for downtown Cancun, it's crowded, congested, and noisy. But if you find yourself restless on Isla it's easy enough to hop the ferry over to the hotel zone, then get on a bus and take a ride down the lenght of the hotel zone just to check it out.

Wild Rose, Wisconsin
reviews: 3
3. Re: Don't want to leave paradise, but

We took a "day trip" to Cancun, riding the ferry to Playa Tortuguas. The ferry dock lands you right on a small beach, where i believe you could find a spot to sit and chill. They have bungee jumping right there on the beach as well. If you want to shop, you can catch a bus or taxi right outside the ferry. There are malls, Walmart, and local mercados all over Cancun.

Isla Mujeres
reviews: 81
4. Re: Don't want to leave paradise, but

A day trip to Surfin' Burrito is worth it! Super yummy food!

Baltimore, Maryland
reviews: 29
5. Re: Don't want to leave paradise, but

I once did a day trip for the "Can Cook Cancun" cooking class in Cancun. I enjoyed it. It was informative and fun...but not sure I would leave the Island for it a second time. That said...once I had to go to the Moon Palace for 5 days for a wedding and we had a cab take us to Mercado 28...I really enjoyed that! A fun, Mexican tourist flea market....

Brandon, Canada
6. Re: Don't want to leave paradise, but

DMartin216, what's the King's Bath? Sorry...I'm just a day tripper, once.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 84
7. Re: Don't want to leave paradise, but

King's Bath is a great place to snorkel but unless you approach it from the water, you have to walk through Avalon's property to get to it. In other words, it's public but difficult to get to without walking through Avalon. Depending on who is on security duty and how he or she feels that day, you may be allowed to access it with no problem as a non-guest, or be turned around and told to leave.

Taylors Falls...
reviews: 2
8. Re: Don't want to leave paradise, but

We weren"t allowed access when we were there in October.

Posse was on duty.

Stow, Ohio
reviews: 4
9. Re: Don't want to leave paradise, but

We could always meet for another fabulous dinner at LoLo's! Hola, from your table neighbors!

Fort Nelson, Canada
reviews: 7
10. Re: Don't want to leave paradise, but

Well, it definitely is looking less than beach weather today, perhaps some of these options might be an idea.

We did have a great meal at Lolo Lorena's thought that maybe we might try Los fuegutios steak house, I bet the waves will be really crashing on that side.