We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Be aware

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wyoming
reviews: 10
Be aware

Just want to bring this to everyone's attention. There have been a couple of incidences with children asking for rides, jumping on the golf carts, etc. They ask for money. They won't take no for an answer, they are very mean and diligent. Don't pick up kids. If they hop on your cart, be firm and don't be afraid to ask for help getting them away from you. Some of the locals have pictures and are trying to get this taken care of quickly. One of the incidents involved 3 girls about 8 or 9 years old. This is also very scary since i am sure these girls don't realize the potential danger they could be in. I don't want to make a big deal out of it, but you need to be aware and prepared.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 71
1. Re: Be aware

Just reading this on the Isla Community FB page, where they have the girls' picture posted. As wyobean says, these are young girls, about 8 or 9 judging by their picture, and they are very bold.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 52
2. Re: Be aware

That kind of incident scares me. If a child is injured, the tourist may be blamed. Here it is guilty until proven innocent.

North Liberty, Iowa
Destination Expert
for San Pedro
reviews: 9
3. Re: Be aware

That's really a bummer. Here on Ambergris Caye, people with golf carts give the local kids rides all the time. Many of the kids have very long walks to and from school and really appreciate the ride.

ct
reviews: 33
4. Re: Be aware

Just wondering if they are jumping on carts with empty seats or full carts. That would deter me from renting-if my kids are in the back and they jump on, I don't want them to get pulled off. Hopefully it will be taken care of quickly.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 70
5. Re: Be aware

"That kind of incident scares me. If a child is injured, the tourist may be blamed. Here it is guilty until proven innocent."

Exactly. I'd be really afraid to have a child get injured. Also, if they're this bold, what's to prevent one of them from "falling" out and claiming you pushed them? I'm glad the locals are on top of this and trying to put an end to it. Kids being kids, tend to copy cat one another and this could be a passing "fad". Let's hope so.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 52
6. Re: Be aware

"Also, if they're this bold, what's to prevent one of them from "falling" out and claiming you pushed them? "

Thats a good thought. Kids here are often very street smart and very well could do that. I hope local officials get involved and try to stop it.

Wyoming
reviews: 10
7. Re: Be aware

I hope so, too, ourarubafamily. I so enjoy the children of Isla...my guess is that somewhere along the line a kid or two jumped on a cart or got a ride and someone gave him money....a nice gesture. That got around and some are exploiting that.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 1
8. Re: Be aware

Please don't give money to anyone you don't know on Isla. There aren't many beggars but we don't want to encourage them. I saw a tourist give $10 to a barracho man on Playa Norte. No surprise he was back the next day. And there's a woman with a supposedly sick child making the rounds for at least seven years.

They wouldn't do this if it didn't work so practice saying 'no gracias.'

Le Claire, Iowa
9. Re: Be aware

I try to look at things relatively, but sometimes is difficult. New Orleans may average 1-5 murders a day, even in safer touristy areas...then statistically even 5 murders a day with 1,000's of tourists places you at a small risk.

Unless this is a contagious epidemic, given the dozens of golf carts, running into these kids would be rare...considering they likely don't walk around the streets every single day for 12 hours golf-cart hijacking.

I suppose if it happened to me I would stop as soon as possible, put on the parking break, take the keys, and walk far enough away until the kids leave. Take as many photos of them as you can from a distance and ask someone to call the police.

I always get a scooter when on Isla and my biggest fear are the tourists driving the golf carts. They never look in their rearview mirror (if the cart is lucky enough to have one) and they never check their blind spots when moving around objects (if they were polite enough to stay to the right of the road to begin with).

I bet I'll get whacked by another tourist any day before some 8-9 year old girls try to scam me.

Pinehurst, North...
reviews: 73
10. Re: Be aware

The lady with the sick child approached us at mocambo in June. She was speaking Spanish so I don't have a clue what she was saying. I just said no gracias and she moved on.