We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New to Las Colonias... Suggestions?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Rochester, New York
reviews: 15
New to Las Colonias... Suggestions?

While I've visited the island five or six times over the past several years, I've always chose accomodations in el Centro. This year, I'll be renting a place in La Gloria. While I'm starting to feel I know el Centro like the back of my hand, I've done very little venturing into lasClonias until now. I know a few of the major landmarks, like the town square, the Super Xpress, La Bruja, Bastos, Mundaca... but could use sume guidance in the following areas:

- where is the mercado (farmers market, not the Super Xpress)?

- is there any place to get breakfast (i've been spoiled by all the options in el Centro!)?

- which beach clubs are convenient, recommended?

- where is it easiest to catch a bus to el Centro (I've seen people gathered in front of Mundaca; is that a bus stop?)?

Thanks in advance for your help, folks. Looking forward to escaping the NE winter for a bit!

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Milwaukee
reviews: 26
1. Re: New to Las Colonias... Suggestions?

Don't know where exactly you are staying, but

Cafe Mango, has great breakfast. An awsome stuffed pepper, among other things and great coffee.

But I am sure others will have a lot more suggestions.

Wyoming
reviews: 10
2. Re: New to Las Colonias... Suggestions?

Mango is quite a ways from La Gloria. If you go out Sac Bajo Zama's Beach Club is about a mile. I have never eaten breakfast out in La Gloria. We always ate breakfast in. The bus used to turn around at the circle by the palace. We would catch it there. It winds around a couple streets. Raphael is the driver and he will be glad to tell you his exact route. He will stop and pick you up anywhere along the way.

Do you have a Mapchick map? That is the easiest way to find your way around.

Edited: 1:16 pm, January 21, 2013
Isla Mujeres, Mexico
reviews: 90
3. Re: New to Las Colonias... Suggestions?

I agree with Wyobean... Mapchick is a necessity. Honestly, the best way to learn the neighborhood is to take to the streets and explore on foot. The merchants and the food vendors change from day to day. A guy in our neighborhood sells fantastic tacos but only on Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights. Do a daytime exploration and then you have to go again at night as there are totally different street vendors at night. places that are closed up tight in the afternoon come alive in the evening. Its a whole different world in the neighborhoods and we love it!! One favorite spot in La Gloria besides La Bruja is El Charco, also known as Deysi y Raul's.

London, Ontario
reviews: 23
4. Re: New to Las Colonias... Suggestions?

Mango cafe is a 20 minute walk from Casitas Del Mar in La Gloria. As it was mentioned earlier - great poblano relleno and other great tasty treats. La Bruja, Bastos, Daisy & Rauls, the Rotisserie chicken place, Limon, bakery, pizza place. Lots of choices.

The mercado is near the super xpress, across from the ball diamond (on the other side by the bay). By the way, walking around the bay is a great jaunt for burning some much consumed calories. Jogging seemed a little too adventurous, since it is vacation and all.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 65
5. Re: New to Las Colonias... Suggestions?

I think it all depends on which colonia the OP is staying in. Can you give us a hint, Bill? :)

Rochester, New York
reviews: 15
6. Re: New to Las Colonias... Suggestions?

I'll be in la Gloria, TNY. Technically, I may be in Canotal, but mere blocks from the Super Xpress and Community Plaza on Av. Isla Contoy.

Does the bus go right down Av Isla Contoy? Is there only a clockwise route, only a counter-clockwise route, or both?

Thanks to those suggesting a MapChick map. I agree they're great, and have two from former trips.

Isla Mujeres
reviews: 25
7. Re: New to Las Colonias... Suggestions?

Bill, I'll email you but for everyone else...

The farmer's market is literally around the corner and there is a loncheria there where you can get breakfast. There is also a little place across from the square, on the west side, where you can get salbutes, panuchos, and empanadas for breakfast. A block away on the main road you can get cochinita tortas or tacos on Sundays. Over on the upper boulevard you can get fresh fruit salad, juices, and sandwiches. To the south in La Gloria, you can buy a baguette with chicken or carne asada - a huge serving. Like Karen suggested, walk around and you will discover lots of options for food.

The bus doesn't have a specific stop, you can flag it down anywhere on the route. If you want to go ino town but it's heading south, hop on anyway as it is not far from the circle where it turns around.

Enjoy discovering the colorful colonias!

Edited: 8:01 am, January 22, 2013
8. Re: New to Las Colonias... Suggestions?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 24, 2014