We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Adios Los Estados Unidos-trip report day 1 and 2

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plattsmouth...
reviews: 23
Adios Los Estados Unidos-trip report day 1 and 2

So made it here. We arrived in Cancun at 8pm Saturday night. The lines in customs were really long but we made it to the Best Day platform by 9:20. It went really fast for my manfriend Gary who had taken something to relax himself on the plane. The child who cried on the flight the whole way from Houston didn't even seem to bother him too much. I wondered if the child didn't have any grandparents who could watch her while the mother went on vacation. I got to cross using an airplane restroom off my bucket list after the cocktails at the airport.

At Puerto Juarez we had to get a couple beers, a Sol tall boy and Dos Equis for $17 each. (all prices in pesos)

My sisters and brother in law had arrived on the island earlier in the day and by the time we got to the island were ready for bed. So Gary and I decided to walk around and check things out (and eat). we stopped at Taqueria Medina and had 4 tacos: chorizo, al pastor, barbacoa and chopped pork plus an order of guacamole and chips plus 2 Dos Equis and 2 Sols. It was $200 plus tip. We could hear La banda sin Nombre playing at Faynes.

The next morning we got up early and got 1/2 kilo of cochinita pibil at the market for $125 plus a huge stack of tortillaS for next to nothing. We bought 2 liters of fresh squeezed orange juice and 1 litre of chaya, pineapple and celery for. My sister Traci and I just had cochinita pibil and everyone else ate at Alexia and Geovanni's. They had huevos motulenos, pancakes and bacon and eggs and bacon plus a watermelon water. Their bill was $140 plus tip.

After breakfast, we went to Avalon beach and snorkeled for a few hours. Lunch was at Bally Hoo. 3 fish and chips and two orders of fish tacos, 6 margaritas, 2 pina coladas and 2 Jack and Cokes for $995.

After lunch we laid on Posada beach then came back to pay Romy a visit. (gatine-Lea no longer works here. He got a job working for a cable company). One round of drinks: Jack and coke, Captain and coke and 2 strawberry margaritas was $240.

Later that evening we went to the town square and it was beautiful. All the Christmas lights were still up and it was packed with local families and children playing. There was a couple with a table and a fryer set up and I asked them what they had. I have been dying to try some local food. The husband told me panuchos, salbutes, flautas, empanadas. I said one of everything. They were so great and $50. What a steal! I had to go back and get two cheese empanadas since we only tried the pork ones. By the way, my sisters and I split all this. Now we had to go seek out food for the picky guys. We wanted to get them the chicken at La Mexican but they were closed 7:30 so we went to Pizza Rock. Dan had a ribeye, Gary pepperoni pizza, plus we ordered guacamole, nachos, two waters, corona and pacifico $456. The guacamole was okay but Taqueria Mediana guac was way better,.

I bought some cute tile numbers for my house across from Barlito for $300.

The

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 79
1. Re: Adios Los Estados Unidos-trip report day 1 and 2

Great report heather, sounds like you had some good food. Can't wait to read more. Have fun!

Fort Worth, Texas
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya, Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 28
2. Re: Adios Los Estados Unidos-trip report day 1 and 2

Your trip report sounds delicious!

Grayslake, Illinois
reviews: 59
3. Re: Adios Los Estados Unidos-trip report day 1 and 2

I love trip reports centered around food - YUM!!! Thanks for posting. Keep 'em comin.

Ottawa, Canada
reviews: 78
4. Re: Adios Los Estados Unidos-trip report day 1 and 2

Hope you're having fun Heather. Do you find Posada Del Mar has changed much since your last visit?

I'll shamefully admit not even paying Romy a visit during my short last trip. I don't go to a lot of bars when I travel alone.

Have a great time!!!

Edited: 9:59 am, January 07, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 89
5. Re: Adios Los Estados Unidos-trip report day 1 and 2

What a fabulous start--including many of our favorites! We thought the pineapple/chaya/celery juice was very good, even though I was initially skeptical. But any day that includes cochinita pibil and Bally-Hoo fish tacos is a day well spent.

We also bought address tiles but like you, we live in a very cold midwestern climate and have been concerned about affixing them to our house in the proper manner. Consequently they have been residing on a table in our foyer for the past two years. But they still make us smile and we see them more often there.

Have fun, and keep the reports coming!

Ontario
reviews: 126
6. Re: Adios Los Estados Unidos-trip report day 1 and 2

Ditto to jetskigirl.... "love trip reports centered around food" lol...glad you're having a good time.

Plattsmouth...
7. Re: Adios Los Estados Unidos-trip report day 1 and 2

Thanks everyone!

Gatine, yes there is all new furniture in the palapa bar and the new, new building has at least some rooms open now. It looks like their have been some updates too. They are keeping the grounds and pool very clean and maybe they do more during high season.

The island was very crowded yesterday but today it appears many of the Christmas/New year vacationers have gone home.

I forgot to add that when we bought the panuchos, salbutes, flautas and empanadas in the town square, I asked the man when they would be back. He said they are there again today and instructed me to skip a midday meal and come back at 4 when they arrive so I tbe really hungry. he was so cute. I intend to do just that.

This morning we had one of my favorite meals at Compadres. Their cazuelas are crazy good. I very rarely leave food on my plate but these are so filling, I can't eat it all. My sister had a dish with scrambled eggs rolled in corn tortillas and the sprinkled with chorizo, cheese and grilled peppers. It had a cream refried bean sauce with it. It was one of the yummiest things I've had. They have great orange juice too. It is definitely one of the best restaurants I've tried. Our waiter was wonderful too. They also have regular american breakfasts like french toast, pancakes, scrambled eggs for the picky eaters.

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 12
8. Re: Adios Los Estados Unidos-trip report day 1 and 2

What time did you go to the market to get the Pibil and OJ?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 89
9. Re: Adios Los Estados Unidos-trip report day 1 and 2

The cochinita pibil can sell out--it's usually gone by lunch time. That's why we also go to breakfast at one of the loncherias and then pick it up afterward. Of course, it's easier to reheat it for lunch if you're staying somewhere with a kitchen.

Plattsmouth...
10. Re: Adios Los Estados Unidos-trip report day 1 and 2

I think it was around 9 am for cochinita pibil there were two booths selling it this year. We tried a different one this year before we realized our same guy was directly across from the new one.