We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 7

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plattsmouth...
reviews: 23
Day 7

Barlitos for breakfast. Holy Tortuga! Those breakfast paninis are filling and delicious! The 5 of us shared a cinnamon roll and it might have looked like a shark feeding frenzy. This was Denise's favorite breakfast. We sisters only ate half of our paninis and gave them to Romy and Lea and they loved them too. Traci got 6 to take home with her in the morning.

After breakfast we spent several hours on the beach and Gary and I finally walked up to see playa norte. On the way back we noticed it had started raining and ran back to the rest of the family and it started pouring. We gathered our stuff and went back to the hotel and cleaned up for lunch.

For lunch we had el Poc Chuc (original) the one on juarez and abasolo. Gary, Dan and I had the Poc Chuc. Denise and Traci shared the nachos and bean soup. I had a taste of Denise's soup and honestly like the flavor better than La Lomitas. I know some of you will be shocked but it was just delicious. It is totally pureed so there are no chunks in it but it was amazing as was the poc chuc and nachos (I know nachos are boring but these were really good.) This was mine and Denise's favorite restaurant and meal. Again I am torn between that and cochinita pibil tacos.

Ooops I have to go. I will try to remember to finish day 7 later.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 92
1. Re: Day 7

Better than La Lomita? This I have to taste ...

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 86
2. Re: Day 7

I love the food at El Poc Chuc too. Their Cuban sandwich was amazing back in the day when I still ate things like that :)

Council Bluffs, Iowa
reviews: 2
3. Re: Day 7

I too like Poc Chuc's bean soup. I eat that many times when I'm down there. Sounds as though you are having the time of your life. Have you checked out any places you might want to stay at next year? Can't wait to read your full length version trip reports.

Plattsmouth...
4. Re: Day 7

Wayyyy better. Than lal lomita. I liked la lomita too though!

Plattsmouth...
5. Re: Day 7

Day7 continued. We went back to the beach @2:30 for a couple hours and played with our floaties. We discussed who were going to give them to and wanted to give them to local families. We asked Romy and he wanted one for one of his grandchildren. The others would go to the rest of the staff and their children. Julia has 5 kids so I hope she took one.

Then we went and cleaned up for dinner at L'argentinian. Traci and I had the filet mignon tacos. Denise had shrimp and lobster. The shrimp was good but lobster slightly overcooked. Our meat was very tender but kind of boring. The pickies had chicken wings and grilled chicken breast.

After dinner Denise and Dan went shopping and Traci, gary and I headed toward our hotel. On the way, we ran into Whiskey, who is a favorite of the island dogs owned by a local family. When we were gushing again over how cute he is, the owner started spouting a lot of spanish at us. The only thing I got out of it was bambino. I told him I must see Hwiskey's bambino. So he took us down a tunnel to his home where his teenage son was watching a movie and saw the most adorable puppy. I asked about the madre and he drug us down another tunnel where we seemed to interrupt a church ceremony. Maybe mańana, I said.

After the dog tour we went to la gallerita for peace cookbooks (thank you Tiffany for the directions and all your other help).

Plattsmouth...
6. Re: Day 7

Bestgrammy, we hardly looked at any of the places on my list of hoels to check out. We were really happy with Posada del Mar's location, staff and ease of getting around from there. The places I saw that were gorgeous and looked like my style were Maria's Cabanas (pink front by Avalon road). When you walk into the courtyard there, it's like your own little secluded paradise. And Villas La Joya and Villa la Bella. They were all beautiful and charming.

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 92
7. Re: Day 7

While I accept Heather's preference for the Poc Chuc bean soup, let me point out that a "watered down" version of the soup is served at La Lomita for anyone who orders an entree. But if you want the real deal, you have to actually order the soup--it comes topped with chopped tomato, cilantro, onions and cheese. So if you want to try the full version of their soup, you have to actually order it. Here's a picture of the La Lomita soup (full version):

…photobucket.com/albums/…Isla335.jpg

Plattsmouth...
8. Re: Day 7

I did have the full version of la lomitas soup and I loved all the toppings on it but I just didn't think the flavor holds a candle to poc chucs. It was so amazing and there wasn't much in it other than corn tortillas and queso the rest was purèed. You have to at least try it and compare the two if you haven't already.

9. Re: Day 7

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:22 am, May 18, 2013