We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day 6? I've lost count...

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kenai, Alaska
reviews: 9
Day 6? I've lost count...

From Colleen (again)

Today we rented the cart and went out to the south point...its really beautiful out there.. Had lunch at Soggy Peso...holy crap! I hurt myself we ate so much! It was BBQ pork...ribs-Mark ate an entire slab--he's in a coma on the couch. I had the combo: ribs, chicken and susage...with potatoe salad and some cold corn relish that bit back! The corn bread is DIVINE--but really more of a cake... this was OUTSTANDING!

Ribs are Mark's favorite and he's VERY picky about it--he said it was the best or maybe a close second. Fall off the bone...no grease at all. The place seemed to be full of regulars...it was like a private club. Freddy couldnt have been more welcoming. Tough to find spot....but well worth the search! Going back for fajitas teusday or cheesburgers thursday-- I dont know why...but I want a cheesburger and fries! Sillyness!

Before that, we went snorkeling at the little place next to guarrafon...it was nice...lots of fish swarmed us as we entered the water and then accompanied us on our swim.. There was a small reef, fire coral I believe. We also saw a 5 foot ray...it had a strange nose...I think tortoise nose ray? if someone knows the correct name, please enlighten. We swam about 45 minutes, tos of colorful fish, but I think I'm somewhat spoiled now after scuba....

Our underwater camera is dying on us--its the only way we have to transfer photos, so I'll do my best to photo these opal rings and upload them. Can I load them into the photos tab at the left of the page?

If not, itll have to wait until we get home... They ARE pretty though...

eye candy!

Staying in tonight, going with the golf cart down the coast at dawn beach combing! Conch, sea glass, etc.

Mark is trying to find a way to get a fishing pole down here. There are two old guys fishing off the pier by our hotel, catching baracuda.

He'll figure it out, trust me!

Colleen

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 12
1. Re: Day 6? I've lost count...

my husband loves to fish if we take a pole is the fishing from that pier by PA or somewhere else? we were not sure if it would be worth it or not. we took it to puerto morelos and it was not worth the trouble in airport. we took it to barcelo palace 1 yr and it was a blast.... anyone know if a fishing license is needed?

New England
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
reviews: 176
2. Re: Day 6? I've lost count...

Hey Colleen thanks for the update! No worries if you can't get the opal pics up til you get home. I am sure they are lovely.

Not sure about the ray you saw. Have never heard of a tortoise nose ray. Was it a spotted eagle ray? They have a snub nose for digging in the sand. White spots on the body can't be missed. I once spent 90 minutes in 20 feet watching one feed. It was gorgeous.

Good luck with the sea glass tomorrow!

Kenai, Alaska
3. Re: Day 6? I've lost count...

Hi Bluewaterdiva, It may have been an eagle ray, although it was different looking than the others we saw, it could be it was fatter--it was REALLY CHUBBY--maybe gestating. It WAS digging too...very powerful, VERY beautiful...we watched it for about 15 minutes... it was spotted. It was using that incredible snout to dig, we were so close we could have touched her. Perhaps she is accustomed to people. She was so thick through the middle, so she looked built differently. Mark googled a couple photos and it DOES look like an eagle ray.

Any recommendation on an underwater camera thats not too spendy?

Kenai, Alaska
4. Re: Day 6? I've lost count...

Sorry Beachlover... the fishing is restricted--but you can fish until about 9AM then they chase you off. Its the pier closest to the PA to the right as you face the water. On the 2nd pier over, they will have you arrested. The two old guys are there every AM, they use squid for bait. They are not catching HUGE barracuda...its fairly shallow... also they caught another odd fish as well. They were using thick broomstick poles...80 pound test, 16 oz weights LOL

They were loaded for bear! lmao havin fun....

We have never purchased a fishing license on any of our charters.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 65
5. Re: Day 6? I've lost count...

Nice report, Colleen, keep them coming :)

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 12
6. Re: Day 6? I've lost count...

Hmm, so wonder how the two old guys can fish there after 9? We went on a deep sea fishing event last year out of Playa and the rate said "licenses included". I assumed that meant you had to have a license. It also says this on the charter we took out of the marina next to the Now Jade (cannot remember the name.....)

Curious about your have you arrested comment. Did you see people being arrested, are there signs? Do not want to take the pole with if it causes too much stir.

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 138
7. Re: Day 6? I've lost count...

Isn't it lovely to lose track of time on Isla?

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 71
8. Re: Day 6? I've lost count...

It is eagle ray season so it's quite likely that's what you saw. Their most distinguishing features are: very large overall, a topside that's dark with many white spots and a bottom that's white; they also have extremely long tails. It's one of the few species of rays that will school--when you see an entire school of them going by it is breathtaking. I had hoped to be able to show some to Michele when we dove on Cozumel last fall but they're more common in the area during the colder months.

Kenai, Alaska
9. Re: Day 6? I've lost count...

Beachlover, Mark here. The guys told me they that the owners of the pier want you off before the pier before 9 am. This pier has a party boat that comes from Cancun. The next pier is gated and posted no trespassing. I didn't see anyone get arrested but the old guys said they have. I've fished mexico a few times and have never purchased a fishing license. I asked the charter we fished with last year and was told no license was required. I asked the two old guys on the pier (who say they have been coming here for 10 years) about it to and they said no licence required.

New England
Destination Expert
for Bonaire
reviews: 176
10. Re: Day 6? I've lost count...

Wish I could give you a rec on an underwater camera that isn't too costly but I have to admit that my husband's current camera and housing were not cheap. He had two low end housings that just never worked all that well as the connections were finicky. On the other hand tgey were fine when he was just learning how to best capture shots. Finally bit the bullet last year and spent more which was fine b/c he is passionate about it Check out Backscatter or B and H Photo.