We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Isla Mujeres or not?

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eau Claire...
reviews: 1
Isla Mujeres or not?

There is a group of us, 4 couples to be exact(leaving the kids at home), looking to go on a vacation next March/April. We range in age from 28-38 and like to have a good time but don't get loud and obnoxius and really don't get in to a lot of night life. We also like our beer, hence we're from Wisconsin, and are debating whether or not to go AI. I read previous reviews not recommending an AI but again we, especially the men, like their beer. Is the alcohol reasonable if not doing an AI? How about the food, is that reasonable? I'm really stressing which is the best route to take and any input would be great. Also, I know this is the Isla Mujeres forum but we are debating between Isla Mujeres (my husband and I have been here for a day trip a few years ago and absolutely loved it) and Negril, any insight or recommendations?? Thanks for your help.

Dallas, TX
reviews: 9
1. Re: Isla Mujeres or not?

Haveing been a few times in the last couple of yrs, and around the same age, Isla sounds perfect for you. Definately skip the AI. Reasonalble beer and mixed drink prices everywhere, and plenty of stores to buy beer for the room. Since there's 4 of you, rent a golfcart, explore the island, and take a soft-sided cooler w/ you as a carry-on. On the Islamujeres.info website, it was by far the best tip we got before going. That, and packing light. I took a couple polo-type golf shirt my first trip and never took them out of the bag. You'll find you spend most of your time in swimsuits & tees. We bought a cooler, and I pack a couple ipods, our passports, reading material, and a few snacks in it for the flt, then use it for all my Tecate's and XX while touring the island, and then take it to the beach. Night before, dump it out, let it dry, then put your carry-on stuff back in. So handy.

That website above is a wealth of info, esp in the Q&A & Chatter sections. Hidalgo St. has many open-air restaurants to choose from, and plenty of 'toes-in-the-sand' choices on the road that runs down the west side that faces Cancun. You'll have a great trip. 2x1 drinks at most beach bars. I think beers were about $1.40 and mixed drinks about $2.50 on our last trip in Feb. Again, can't stress enough, skip the AI. Way too many good restaurants on Isla. And be sure and get a map from Mapchick, they just came out w/ the new edition. Best $8 bucks you'll ever spend.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
2. Re: Isla Mujeres or not?

I think Isla would be great for you - you just need to decide what kind of lodging you want - hotel, apartment, condo? I would never recommend an AI on Isla - food is great, and for the most part, very inexpensive. I would also recommend a Map from mapchick - www.cancunmap.com and hoping on to the www.islamujeres.info.

Oh, for some food ideas - www.hollyeats.com

Yes go to Isla! :)

MN
3. Re: Isla Mujeres or not?

We just came back from 7 nights in Cancun on May 10.

Son and his wife, daughter and her husband. We

stayed at the Moon Palace, AI. The guys like to drink beer as well. We feel this is the only way to go. There is the Isla Palace, brand new, 62 rooms, beach front. The food was great. We went

there for one day during the week. Rented a golf

cart and drove around the Island. What a beautiful

Island. The only downside is they need to adopt adopt-a-highway. I couldn't get over how much trash is laying along side of the roads. Pretty sad.

The hotels and resorts are spotless, but when you

leave those areas, quite a difference.

Enjoy your trip!

Southwest Michigan
reviews: 15
4. Re: Isla Mujeres or not?

Another "don't do A/I vote" here! We travel on a budget, my husband loves his beer, he never complains about not having enough while there, LOL! And, as said, there are so many great restaurants and most are very reasonably priced.

While the Palace on Isla is lovely I am sure, by staying in that secluded environment you would miss what Isla is really all about (since you have been there once and loved it, you know what I am saying!).

I say pick Isla Mujeres :).

greenbay,wi.
5. Re: Isla Mujeres or not?

When we travel with a group that large we usually end up hanging together so we rent a house with a pool and stock the fridge. With what we save not going AI we can still go out to eat,drink. We usually end up around the pool or kitchen table at night and plenty of room if you want to be alone. Haven't been to Isla yet (going Feb.) but from my research they seem to have plenty of homes for rent. If you end up in Negril email me for places to stay have been going there for 20 yrs. Good luck!

Eau Claire...
6. Re: Isla Mujeres or not?

Thanks for all the great input - I will pass this on to the rest of the group. Any other info you think might be helpful would be great!

Stillwater...
reviews: 38
7. Re: Isla Mujeres or not?

The person that can help you more than anyone else is Kathryn at www.kathrynstravel.com. She knows the island, the hotels, B&B's, restaurants, etc., and can put together the perfect arrangements for you and your group.

I would ditto what other posters have provided - I would NOT go the AI route on Isla Mujeres. So many restaurants and bars with good prices that I'd hate to miss out on.

Cornlea, Nebraska
8. Re: Isla Mujeres or not?

Forget the AI...rent a house or condo. Me and the dh (44/49) started doing beach trips (caribbean & mexico) once/twice a year for the past 6 years. Hit the duty free liquor at airport, stock up at grocery store or local fruit market for breakfast/snacks and then go out to eat for evening meal. Plus, our favorite day event....beach crawl....to find the BEST Margarita!! Really get to see and feel the local vibe and enjoy fantastic local eats when renting. What fun you 4 couples would have in a house/condo just hanging out.

Heading as first timers to Isla Mujeres on a girl trip June 16th. Can't wait!!

From reading on the other websites for Isla it seems like this island would be a great time to skip the AI and try renting. You'll be hooked..IMHO!!

Happy researching.

Cornlea, Nebraska
9. Re: Isla Mujeres or not?

Forgot to mention the websites I use to find rentals vrbo.com & vacationrentals.com. kathryn's website (mentioned above) for isla is also another great resourse.

10. Re: Isla Mujeres or not?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:34 am, November 15, 2009