We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day Trip Suggestions

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 4
Day Trip Suggestions

We were in Cancun last February. For the first time, we went to Isla Mujeras for an afternoon and had a great time. We did the golf cart thing and drove around the island. We are going back in May and this time, we want to spend a day at a beach that has a bar with food. A guy was pushing one of these at our resort but we were unsure if we were being overcharged so we did not do it. Once on the island, we saw a few beaches that looked nice but now want to rely other travelor's recommendations on which beach with this set-up one is best. Any help will be appreciated.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 20
1. Re: Day Trip Suggestions

Not sure I understand, ( I am still learing English) but, I think you are saying that you are going to Isla Mujeres for a day in May and you are looking for a niche beach with a bar?

I would recommend you Sunset Grill, you can spend the day there and have food and drinks, they staff there are wonderful! Mayra,Pablo, Emilio, Marcos, Jorge:-) all are great!

Chicago, Illinois
2. Re: Day Trip Suggestions

That's it. Basically a place to hang out and party for the day. Thanks.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 79
3. Re: Day Trip Suggestions

jfred, everyone has their favorite spot, so you'll get some disagreements, which is cool :) I agree with the beach by Sunset Grill. There's also Sergio's Playa Sol, and Buho's on North Beach, and the beach across from the Posada del Mar hotel. Some require you to pay for loungers and umbrellas, even if you eat there. Others don't. It's all free as long as you eat or drink. Sergio's is like that.

Chicago, Illinois
4. Re: Day Trip Suggestions

Thanks NY for the info. I do not mind paying extra for the loungers and umbrellas as long as the place is not overrun and has a nice beach.

new york
Destination Expert
for Isla Mujeres
reviews: 79
5. Re: Day Trip Suggestions

Sergio's does tend to get a lot of day-trippers from Cancun so you may want to pick another spot.

Southern California
reviews: 1
6. Re: Day Trip Suggestions

Buho's or Sunset Grill are both nice on Playa Norte. Agree about the daytrippers at Sergios.

Another suggestion (but you would need a taxi or golf cart) is Zama's Beach Club down on Sac Bajo section of Isla. We stopped there for lunch last year, free use of pools and tanning beds as long as you buy about $25 worth of food and drink. And they have some of the cleanest restrooms on the island.

Carroll Gardens
7. Re: Day Trip Suggestions

Go to Sergios then keep going, haha, make thre right turn and go to the end for Buho's at cabans maria del mar. 4 blocks or so

Georgeos water and sand, food good and drink fine - happy hours too. Buhos is about 4 blocks from sergios. sergios is all daytrippers and other bars compete with their own day trippers _ I mean the wrist band, drunken loud crazy stuff. And sergio beach is playa sol and peopl have drowwned there due too drop off deep and current. each block you walk toward Buho get quieter and water bettter. Why play around!

Here is one video of mine of where we saty at Buhos - it is heaven - look how far people go into water you cannot see - only specks. And water is then only 3-4 feet! HEAVEN:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSFPK7NpOnM

Chicago, Illinois
8. Re: Day Trip Suggestions

Thank you for all of your suggestions. As it turns out, Buhos was the one place we stopped at and had a beer las February but I never thought to get the name or even the what part of the island it was on. Watching the video made me thirsty for a Modelo. I cannot wait to go back.

New York City, New...
reviews: 17
9. Re: Day Trip Suggestions

I'd do Buhos for sure. Get there and throw a blanket under a palm tree or rent lounges and an umbrella for $5 each. Free dring with each rental if still offered. have a snack or two but save some room for great food later ...

... when done head back towards the ferry. Just before the ferry is Picus - right in the sand about 100 fett before the ferry. About 200 feet after the ferry is Justicia Social - in the beach too but with a deck. Both have awesome and inexpensive seafood cockteils, ceviches, beers and drinks, great fish. Fresh, sometimes right off the boat. SJ is the fishermen's cooperative! Fish off the boat! How can you beat this?!? Both close about 7 PM or earlier.

10. Re: Day Trip Suggestions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 6:19 pm, October 16, 2009