We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Spring Break 2009 on Isla Mujeres

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
Spring Break 2009 on Isla Mujeres

We have no desire to party! Should we stay away from Cancun and the island during Spring Break?

My wife is a teacher and has spring break at the end of March. Although we are in our 40's, we love to snorkel, kayak, hike, bicycling and relax. We desire a semi-independent living space with simple amentities of stove and fridge. Maid service is a plus. We love to take in the local markets and cuisine.

What I have read, so far, on this and other websites is that Isla Mujerus is exactly what we are looking for.

Any suggestions or input is welcomed.

Thanks,

MwM

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
1. Re: Spring Break 2009 on Isla Mujeres

yes - I think Isla would be a good fit for you & your wife. While it might get busy during the middle of the day when the "daytrippers" hit the island, it is certainly not the Cancun spring break scene. This site lists the many of the apartments available on Isla that should work good for you. www.isla-mujeres.net/acomhomesandapts.htm

There are several booking agents on the island as well that can help you find the place you are looking for, if you are interested. We have booked an apartment with Glady's for Christmas break and are excited about that.

I would highly recommend you hopping over to www.islamujeres.info for a very active forum with some great photos, trip stories and other links. As well, get a map of Isla from the Mapchick - www.cancunmap.com. I would also recommend that you do a snorkel trip to Isla Contoy with Capt. Tony - it is a great day trip! Hope this helps you get started. :)

Minneapolis...
2. Re: Spring Break 2009 on Isla Mujeres

Thanks, CoalMiner...

Cozumel was similar in that we stayed out of the popular part of town and away from the commercial beaches during the day, since they filled with "cruisers".

Should we stay away from the island, all together, during this time of year? Is Cancun and the airport just NUTS; considering all the "Spring Breakers"? Or, do you think it's tolerable?

MwM

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
3. Re: Spring Break 2009 on Isla Mujeres

I haven't been during that time of year, so I don't know - you could post that question on the www.islamujeres.info Q&A page for that. But I think you could get out of the airport and to Isla Mujeres with little hassle. We always book an airport pickup/transfer - it is cheaper than a taxi and so easy. Best Day, Cancun Valet, etc. - they will pick you up at the airport and bring you to the ferry to go to Isla - it is great and could eliminate any potential stresses. I have also heard to avoid Friday/Saturday flights, as that is when the Cancun airport is the busiest. That may help you as well. Good luck! :)

seattle
reviews: 14
4. Re: Spring Break 2009 on Isla Mujeres

We went to IM the last week in Mar. & into the first week in April this year, and did not see any crazy stuff on the Island.. I think that the college breaks are earlier in Mar..(We are also in our 40s ) Our trip was actually almost perfect!!!! good luck!! have fun!!

Minneapolis...
5. Re: Spring Break 2009 on Isla Mujeres

Thank you all for your responses...

Although my wife and I are in our 40's, as well, we take full advantage of our spring break vacations. After being stuck in another MN winter, we have a tendency of cutting loose in the mid-80 temps. Relaxing in a hammock and eating in the local restaurants are reserved to early mornings and late evenings. While the majority of the days are full of snorkeling, kayaking, boogie boarding, hiking, etc.

Islabound, in what type of activities did you participate? What made your trip "almost perfect"?

Mark

Seattle
reviews: 3
6. Re: Spring Break 2009 on Isla Mujeres

Hola Mark! My wife is a teacher too and we went the first week last april. It was great! No sign of breakers...at all. We snorkeled, golf carted the island a few times and got lots of sun. You're going to have a blast! Enjoy :-)

Minneapolis...
7. Re: Spring Break 2009 on Isla Mujeres

IslandBound and Hola, where did you stay? Did it fit for you? Would you go back to IM?

Seattle
reviews: 3
8. Re: Spring Break 2009 on Isla Mujeres

MwM, yes we will be back. Isla is beautiful. It's not the franchised Disney version, it's authentic Mexico(unlike the hotel zone in Cancun). It's the people, the food and the visual you get around the island that makes Isla so special.

We stayed at the Avalon and had a great time. You can snorkel under the bridge and in the lagoon next to the resort. You can walk out 200 yards or so in waist deep water. You can take a golf cart ride to the south end and snorkel at the Hotel Garrafon for about $4 pp, continue on to Punta Sur to explore the cliffs. Stop by La Gloria English school ( you can just visit, donate time and/or supplies). You should rent a golf cart for 24 hrs at least once, so you can enjoy the the drive with the moonlight and the sound of the surf. Make a midnight run for Ballpark tacos.

You're sure to have a great time what ever you do! Enjoy:-)

Oh- If you're there on a Sunday, stop in at Tino's for some fantastic ribs!

seattle
reviews: 14
9. Re: Spring Break 2009 on Isla Mujeres

My husband and I went with 2- 16 year old boys ( my son and his friend) We stayed at a house on the southend called Casa Amanecer. We went to Garrafon De Castilla and ate, drank, and snorkled. We went downtown and had great dinners every night. We took an overnight trip to Tulum and Xel ha. ( wanted the kids to see the ruins) . We shopped, watched a great band playing 70s & 80s music a few different nights. We rented a golfcart for 24 hrs and cruised the island. We had Tic n Chic at Playa Lancheros, We spent a day at the playa norte and watched the most beautiful sunsets ever! We all just had a great time!We cant wait to go back again.

10. Re: Spring Break 2009 on Isla Mujeres

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:20 pm, October 03, 2009