We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timer

Which Isla Mujeres hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
First Timer

Hi all, finally got a trip booked for July 08. We have been to Cozumel a few times but wanted a change.Have a few questions. Not clear on what's the best way to get from airport to ferry for me, my wife and daughter. Staying at the Avalon, guess we can catch a taxi? when we get on isla? Is one able to fish right off the beach/shore, of course far away from any body, like early one morning in a secluded area. Also, very important for returning, what time does the ferry operate daily? Have a 4:00p flight back but want to be prepared. Is all that water around Avalon and the water around the bridge pretty shallow? Thank you all for any help you can give.

Washington State
reviews: 11
1. Re: First Timer

We just got back last night after 1 week on the island and 2 nights in Cancun. We enjoy using Best Day (bestdaydotcom) for transportation. This is the second time we have used them. For $17.00 round trip (that was for 2 people; prices are listed on their website), we used them from the Cancun airport (you will probably be sharing with others. They use AC vans. This time, it was just the 2 of us. For more money, you can have your own transportation with Best Day), to the Puerto Juarez ferry. (We met a couple that said a taxi for 2 people was $40.00 one way from Puerto Juarez to the airport. We then purchase one-way tickets on the UltraMar ferry (big blue and yellow ones), and then yes, you can take a taxi to your hotel (there is a line to the left right after you get off the ferry). The ferry runs I think every half an hour from early am to 11 ish at night. I'm not sure about the fishing. I'm not familiar with the Avalon beach area too, but it is very shallow on Playa Norte. I think the Avalon may be on Playa Norte, but I don't know for sure. Enjoy!

New York, NY
reviews: 8
2. Re: First Timer

I would agree with the previous poster. I arranged transportation via a company like Best Day and it was affordable & they were on-time. The ferries to Isla Mujeres leaves every 30 minutes from 6:30am and it takes about 15 mintues or so. (around 35 pesos/person). Where you are staying is on the North beach close to all the shops and downtown. To get around the island, I would recommend renting a golf cart. My fiance and I stayed for 4 nites at Villa Rolandi and we made arrangement with a local golf cart rental place (Prisma Golf http://www.isla-mujeres.net/rentadoras/prisma/prisma.htm) and got a very good rate for 4 day rental. You can rent from your hotel but it's a lot more expensive then going direct. You should explore the island and drive around the local areas. (Great taco stand near the baseball field, only open at nite.) At the south end of the island is a small park (Garrafon) with art pieces and you can take the wooden stairs down to the base of the island. It's quite lovely. There is also an English school for kids on the island (La Gloria http://www.folges.org/) that you can take donations to if you wish. It was started by an American couple and they teach locals English. There are so many lovely things about he island it's hard to list them all. The locals are wonderful and very friendly. You will have a great time. If your flight leaves at 4pm, I would recommend leaving around 12pm on the ferry. That should get you to Cancun and then to the airport around 1pm. Enjoy!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 31
3. Re: First Timer

In addition, I would recommend that you get a map from the Mapchick - www.cancunmap.com - it lists everything on Isla and will be very helpful to you. Good luck! :)

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Cancun
reviews: 87
4. Re: First Timer

Definately get the map! We would have been a bit lost without it!

Jersey City, New...
reviews: 3
5. Re: First Timer

Thanks for the information about Can-Do Maps. I just ordered the Isla Mujeres and Maya Riviera maps. I am planning my first trip to Isla Mujeres for July 2008, 5 nights.

6. Re: First Timer

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:18 am, September 23, 2009