We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Water clarity in the morning vs. afternoon when diving

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
St. Louis,MO
reviews: 13
Water clarity in the morning vs. afternoon when diving

My husband and I will be doing our referral dive in Cozumel at the end of Jan. I notice when corresponding with dive ops and looking at their websites, they tend to do the referral dives in the afternoon. I assume that this is because these groups may be smaller therefore the dive master can offer more personnalized attention. My only concern is water clarity and visibility. When we snorkeled in Maui last year, we would have to go fairly early in the morning otherwise, the winds would pick up and the water clarity really went downhill. Is it the same in the Carribean and when doing scuba versus snorkeling? Any help is appreciated:)

JJ

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 2
1. Re: Water clarity in the morning vs. afternoon when diving

I suspect that the referral dives are done in the afternoon since that is when the typical morning dives are finished. Don't worry about water clarity. It is usually very good.

Ottawa, Ontario
2. Re: Water clarity in the morning vs. afternoon when diving

The water is much clearer in Cozumel than it was in Kauai, by a big margin. I felt that there was no such thing as a lee side to Kauai, waves came pounding in on all sides of the island as though it was being raised & lowered constantly. In Cozumel you are on the leeward side, and in general there is little wave activity to churn up silt. I personally like the afternoon lighting more than the morning lighting also. As for why most do the referrals in the afternoon, I think it has to do with the fact that most morning dive trips do a deep & then a shallow dive, afternoon trips do only shallow as the same divemasters are still working them. Another reason is that in the mornings all the sites are rather busy with divers, but in the afternoon there are far less divers looking for a dive site, leaving most sites available for just 1 boat & the divers on it. Take a look at the photos in this Insider page for an idea of "average" dive clarity, they were taken in Cozumel.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150809-c1006/Cozumel…

St. Louis,MO
reviews: 13
3. Re: Water clarity in the morning vs. afternoon when diving

Thank you all for the replies. It sure makes me feel better about an afternoon dive! I am glad to know the water clarity and it's relationship to the time of day is not going to be an issue. I checked out the link on water clarity. Absolutely georgous! I am definitely getting that casing for my Canon digital camera.

Ottawa, Ontario
4. Re: Water clarity in the morning vs. afternoon when diving

In that case you might want to read this, plus use the link there to read or print off the Canon underwater photo guide. Do however leave the camera on the boat for your check out dives & work on your buoyancy. Once you get that under control then consider adding the distraction a camera can become.

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g150809-c3480/Cozumel…

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 12
5. Re: Water clarity in the morning vs. afternoon when diving

JJ: I also took my OW referral to Coz. Used Aqua Safari, which employs a lot of instructors & they gave me the option of doing it in the morning or in the afternoon. I took mornings to free up the rest of the day for other things. They also offered the option to take the 4th dive, the fun one, as a boat trip.

6. Re: Water clarity in the morning vs. afternoon when diving

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:21 am, August 21, 2009