We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Destination wedding in cozumel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
Destination wedding in cozumel

I am wondering if anyone can share their experiences about getting married in Cozumel.

Is it true that you have to be in Mexico 4 working days before the ceremony? I have an issue with this because if we go for one week (arrive on a Saturday and leave on the following Saturday), then we can't have the ceremony until the Friday and leave the next day. It seems to be a bit of a rush after the wedding to go pack and leave. I find the wedding rules in Mexico to be a bit more difficult than other countries.

We are planning on going in January 2007 to get married, and we're trying to decide between two resorts, Occidental Grand or Iberostar Cozumel. I think we are going to go for Iberostar and will most likely have the resort organise the wedding for us.

If anyone can offer their experiences or advices, it would be great...

Thanks!

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 2
1. Re: Destination wedding in cozumel

I can't provide personal experience but if a woman wants to get married I am available. If you decide that the vagaries of such a wedding are problematic consider consulting Stephanie at www dot cozumelweddingplanner dot com

NYC
2. Re: Destination wedding in cozumel

you can always get "legally" married where you live and have the ceremony in mexico. that way you won't need to be there early, get blood tests, go to the judge, get the certificate translated, or file it when you get home. In fact that is what i am doing next june in nyc / Puerto morelos. I know other people who have done this. Just an option.

PA
3. Re: Destination wedding in cozumel

I think it must depend on the county/section of Mexico that you are in. I need to be in Mexico for my civil ceremony 3 business days before. We will be arriving Tuesday afternoon for a Saturday ceremony. There are certain requirements like blood tests but your wedding coordinator can help you with that. I have heard great things about cozumelweddingplanner.com so she may be able to help you, in fact I think that she is the coordinator htat hte cozumel iberostar uses.

I also found the rules of different countries a little bit of a challenge but I'm willing to deal with it for the beautiful setting that I will be married in. I looked at getting married in many different caribbean areas and it was different everywhere.

We will be in Mexico for a total of almost 12 days for our wedding and honeymoon so if you are short on time, it may be a bit of a crunch. I think in St. John there are "easier" requirements....

Minneapolis...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Destination wedding in cozumel

Hi there Crickie,

My wife and I were married in Cozumel December 27, 2005.

We decided to use Stephanie, The Cozumel Wedding Planner.

She counseled us on what is required by us, but we were able to find out that since Cozumel is an Island and has many cruise ship visits, they do not have the 4 day rule.

Here is a link to our wedding.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150809-i66-k40705…

Congrats ! Cozumel is a great place to start a life together.

nacogdoches, texas
5. Re: Destination wedding in cozumel

We are planning my daughter's wedding on August 5 with Stephanie and she and Janie have been fabulous. They have advice and answered my one million questions!

I have seen 2 of her set ups last year, and they were both beautiful! The water, the sundown, the lovely people...what more could a wedding need but guests and a bride and groom?

The restrictions are on her website of www.cozumelwedding planner.com

Toronto
6. Re: Destination wedding in cozumel

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We decided to legally get married in Canada and go to Cozumel for the blessing ceremony. We're going for Iberostar Cozumel and we're having the resort arrange the wedding for us.

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 1
7. Re: Destination wedding in cozumel

My hubby and I got married in Cozumel on June 4, 2005. We did not have to be in the country for 3 days prior. We were married at the open air restaurant at the Hotel Cozumel and Resort. We were scheduled to be married on their wedding pier (before it was torn away by the hurricanes last year) however, it started raining 15 minutes before the ceremony began. It did stop before the ceremony, however, it did not matter to me where the ceremony took place, just that it happened. The hotel was very accomodating and closed their open air restaurant to the rest of the guests and did a beautiful job. We also had the hotel schedule our wedding. We were legally married in Cozumel, Mexico and I wouldn't have it any other way. Good luck on the wedding plans!!

8. Re: Destination wedding in cozumel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:19 am, August 14, 2009