We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Snorkeling Day Trip

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago
reviews: 1
Snorkeling Day Trip

Hello,

My boyfriend and I are planning on renting a car and spending a day snorkeling in Cozumel at the end of August. We would prefer to go on a self-guided tour instead of going through an excursion company and so are looking to visit beaches along the coast. Does anyone have any suggestions on good snorkeling spots to visit in Cozumel?

We are fairly advanced snorkelers and have our own equipment.

Thank you for your assistance.

Thank you for your assistance!

Little Rock
reviews: 8
1. Re: Snorkeling Day Trip

You won't see near as much snorkeling from the shore as you would off a boat. In Cozumel, the reefs are too far off shore to swim to, or too remote to get to the beach to try to swim out, plus the boat traffic is quite heavy.....

It is not like other islands where the reefs are right on the shore line.

This map will give you an idea of what I mean:

westadventures.org/Scuba%20Diving/Cozumel/Co…

Yes, you can snorkel off the shore and see a few fish, a few fans, so basic rocks with coral growth on them, but they pale in comparison to the big reefs further out like this:

http://vimeo.com/59440061

Get certified and go diving. :) It trumps snorkeling by like a billion. :)

Or do a good boat snorkel trip to see the real Cozumel reefs. Tiger Auilar runs one of the best trips I hear....

Have fun!

Edited: 12:54 pm, June 05, 2013
oz
reviews: 99
2. Re: Snorkeling Day Trip

I second the tiger tour on the legend, great snorkeling and a fun fun day !

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 14
3. Re: Snorkeling Day Trip

I too only snorkel and am not interested in diving. One of my favorite ways to do a snorkel day is a combination of a shore snorkel AND a tour. SInce you have a car, I recommend that.

Justin is right that you won't see nearly and much sealife/reefs from shore as you will with an experienced tour guide who knows the reefs and can get you there. I have used 2D's diving and really like them. Its not as much of a party atmosphere as some tours. Just knowledgeable DMs and snorkeling.

For shore snorkeling, the best place on the island is punta Sure IMHO. It is a marine park, so it is quiet, it has some of the best beaches on the West Side of the island, it is picturesque, and there is usually very little swell. However, the snorkel area is a ways from the road, so your having a car is a good idea. I too take my own snorkel gear, and you will need yours there.

Please consider the combination of doing a reef tour via boat in the morning, then you could stop someplace for lunch, then drive on south to Punta Sur for some shore snorkeling, to maximize your snorkeling day. I have done that exact routine many times, and for me it is close to a perfect day.

Hope this helps.

Myrtle Beach, South...
reviews: 6
4. Re: Snorkeling Day Trip

i concur that a boat trip would be best..in lieu of that, from nortn to south, on the west coast would be #1; start at Coral Princess hotel and drift north for about 45 minutes...nice wall; lots to see..#2 corona beach club #3 punta sur eco park..this snorkel runs east to west from white bouy to white bouy about 250 yds offshore

adriancoz
reviews: 13
5. Re: Snorkeling Day Trip

Just south of hotel El Presidente you will see a little car entrace to the ocean. There is a litle inlet and you can easy access the water in there. Depending on the current you can go south or north. About 100yards out you will see some coral heads. North toward the hotel presidente you can see a sunken platform with lots n lots of fish.

Note, if you leave your car unatended dont leave it open or with any valuables, specially an open car such a jeep or vw convertible.

Enjoy!

Chicago
6. Re: Snorkeling Day Trip

Hi Eno G,

This is very helpful. We are not big on the party/snorkeling excursions so Two D's tour sounds like it would be the best option for us.

Thanks!

Chicago
7. Re: Snorkeling Day Trip

Hi craigmon,

Thank you for your suggestions on beach stops, I have heard that corona beach club is good so I may go on a tour, stop at the beach club and and then go to punta sur eco park.

I appreciate your feedback.

Del Rio, Texas
reviews: 44
8. Re: Snorkeling Day Trip

Something to consider since you are doing just the day is that 2D's tour is 41/2 hrs. ($65.) or you can do the boat that leaves from Playa Palancar for 1 1/2 hrs. ($35.) and then shore snorkel from Playa Corona (free but you're expected to buy food or drinks) and then Punta Sur (admission fee $12.). Punta Sur is closed on Sundays.

Edited: 12:52 pm, June 07, 2013
Myrtle Beach, South...
reviews: 6
9. Re: Snorkeling Day Trip

seahorses have been known to be spotted at Corona in the am..i too would like to make a boat trip recomendation. if i may...i know that 2ds has an excellent rep but i know firsthand that ChiChi charters is wonderful and private..i just spent a week with them and i still can't get my mind back here yet

10. Re: Snorkeling Day Trip

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 09, 2014