We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

another fake 925 jewerly complaint!

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ohio
reviews: 70
another fake 925 jewerly complaint!

Well after about 20 nice 925 pieces of jewery in Cozumel from years back.. I finally got taken for $65. for a fake necklace. He actually wanted $250 LOL.. I guess I had it coming since I have always been really good with never spending over $60 for the real stuff. I guess those days are over, but it was fun while it lasted! The clasp has 925 on it, but the green ring around the neck after only 5 days tell the truth. Not complaining.. just saying.

St. Marys, Canada
reviews: 5
1. Re: another fake 925 jewerly complaint!

I read somewhere (might have been here) to carry a small magnet with you when looking for silver. If it's real silver it will NOT stick to the magnet.

ohio
2. Re: another fake 925 jewerly complaint!

I read that too. What is funny is I have purchased several pieces in that shop and never had any problems.

I guess somebody else took it over or the owner has now changed his way of doing business! Oh well..

I am sure our local jeweler will enjoy the profits now!

Shelbyville...
reviews: 17
3. Re: another fake 925 jewerly complaint!

Care to let us know what shop you purchased the necklace?

I've also had good luck with the shops that I've purchased from and never buy expensive jewelry either.

ohio
4. Re: another fake 925 jewerly complaint!

Ok if you are standing on the main drag, the square is to your right with the yellow and orangy buildings

in front of you to the right. We turned left on that road where there are a bunch of small shops. It is the first jewelry on the right side of the street.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 8
5. Re: another fake 925 jewerly complaint!

I bought a ring down there that does the same thing, but I dont care, I like the ring, didnt buy it for its "value". Great idea to limit your purchase to $60, it doesnt hurt so bad lol.

Hancock, New...
reviews: 87
6. Re: another fake 925 jewerly complaint!

"If it's real silver it will NOT stick to the magnet"

And if it's plated copper, tin, or any other cheap metal other than iron or steel it won't stick either. This is not a reliable test for fake silver unless a magnet DOES happen to stick.

St. Marys, Canada
reviews: 5
7. Re: another fake 925 jewerly complaint!

True. I guess that's why I only buy from the guy on the beach. It's most likely plated something or other, but it's pretty and I'm only out $10 or $15.

Hancock, New...
reviews: 87
8. Re: another fake 925 jewerly complaint!

Exactly. If you're happy with the price and the appearance, who cares if it's platinum or plated?

If I want real silver, there are a couple of completely trustworthy shops that will sell it to me. Otherwise, I head to a wholesaler such as Sac Be and get costume stuff for cheap.

Saint Louis...
reviews: 8
9. Re: another fake 925 jewerly complaint!

If I want something "real", I'm buying it close to home, so it comes with a return policy if needed. There's honest shops in Coz, to be sure, but I'm not going to worry about wondering if real is real, or not, and which shop has it and which shop doesn't. Its no different than anywhere else, "let the buyer beware".

Edited: 6:39 pm, March 25, 2013
Dallas, Texas
reviews: 14
10. Re: another fake 925 jewerly complaint!

Duffer48 for the win. If you want to buy something fun(read inexpensive) as a memento of your trip, there's certainly nothing wrong with that.

But for fine jewelry and/or precious or semi-precious gems, stick with a reputable dealer in your home area who has a longstanding solid reputation, and whom you can go back to, should there be a problem with your purchase.

I work with both fine jewelry and fashion jewelry almost every day, and I still cannot believe that people will buy a piece of "fine jewelry" in Coz, based on what a commission salesperson tells them.