We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to make your arrival through CZM airport a little faster

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Minneapolis...
reviews: 38
How to make your arrival through CZM airport a little faster

I've noticed many times when we arrive that people are reluctant to touch luggage that isn't theirs. The luggage carousel will fill up and then everyone just stands around --- including the baggage handlers. They stop putting bags on outside, because the conveyor belt is full. If people will simply pull bags off and set them aside -- the handlers can continue to fill the belt from the outside. This makes the whole process much faster.

I thought it looked like they were adding a new baggage handling system when we departed in February, but I couldn't get a good look as we walked to our plane. Maybe the process will be better by next year.

In the meantime......just a suggestion.

Cheers,

'Red

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
reviews: 17
1. Re: How to make your arrival through CZM airport a little faster

Good idea Red, and besides, it's just such a "Minnesota Nice" thing to do. :)

oz
reviews: 99
2. Re: How to make your arrival through CZM airport a little faster

I saw a fist fight break out in Chicago over this . Personally I would never touch someone's bag and I really don't want someone touching mine. If you are on the other side of the turn about waiting for your bag and someone has taken it off and you can't see it , it makes for nervous travelers.

MinneSNOWta
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Alexandria
reviews: 17
3. Re: How to make your arrival through CZM airport a little faster

I understand Wicked, I get it, I'd still do it, there, CZM anyway, usually by the point we arrive, we know half the people on the plane. We ALL just want to GET THROUGH, and GET OUT.

Cozumel, Mexico
reviews: 2
4. Re: How to make your arrival through CZM airport a little faster

Having bags pulled off at random would only cause chaos.....running from one side of the luggage carousel to the other checking to see if your luggage has been removed would be more time consuming. When we arrive for the winter we are usually coming in with 3 bags....wouldn't want to chase them around.

Liverpool, New York
reviews: 6
5. Re: How to make your arrival through CZM airport a little faster

As nice an idea as that is, people are looking for their stuff only on the conveyor belt. If it starts getting moved elsewhere, I can see tired and stressed travellers losing it completely. Also, you know how many bags look alike......pandemonium!!!!!

Any of you decide to do this, send me your picture so I can forewarn hubby and stop him heading over there on the bounce. Haha

Shelbyville...
reviews: 18
6. Re: How to make your arrival through CZM airport a little faster

No...I don't think that's a good idea either. I believe the bags take a bit of time, because they are being sniffed by the drug poochies and it's just going to take some time. Relax, you're in Mexico. All of those bags on the belt will be claimed quick enough and more bags will roll out and then you can be on your way. If everybody pulls the bags off of the belt, then it will be a mess trying to get up to the belt and it's enough with everybody standing in their ready to grab stance.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
7. Re: How to make your arrival through CZM airport a little faster

¨Relax, you're in Mexico¨

I agree. I can wait another 5 minutes. And I would not be happy to see someone pull my bag off if I am on the other side watching it come around and waiting. I know the intention is good but many would not be happy to see it happen.

phoenix
reviews: 3
8. Re: How to make your arrival through CZM airport a little faster

Please do not touch my bags.

I'm already tired from travelling all day and now I have to put up with a "thief".

No thanks, don't it people

Minneapolis...
reviews: 38
9. Re: How to make your arrival through CZM airport a little faster

OK...you guys obviously haven't been through this drill. In Cozumel, you can see all the bags...all the time. It's not a huge space. So the fear that your bags will be lost isn't valid. There is just one open spot where they can sit. If you are standing on the other side of the belt, then you will get your luggage, but after they have circled two or three or four times and it's obvious that there's no one to claim them...I say get them out of the way.

I am not suggesting that we all grab bags at random the minute they hit the conveyor, but I have stood there when an entire plane load of luggage is on the belt ....a plane from Canada. However all the people waiting for luggage came on a plane from Minnesota. The Canadians are still in line in Customs behind 400 people on a flight from Miami. People and luggage don't always clear in the same order. I have seen my lime green bags outside on a cart waiting to be loaded on the belt...but the belt is full and the baggage handlers just stand there and shrug. There used to be employees who would pull the bags and stack them in the middle...now it's up to whoever is standing around. That's us.

Cheers

'Red

Edited: 12:15 am, March 19, 2013
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
10. Re: How to make your arrival through CZM airport a little faster

¨OK...you guys obviously haven't been through this drill.¨

I have probably been through this drill 50 times or more. I still see no reason to touch my bag.

¨The Canadians are still in line in Customs behind 400 people on a flight from Miami.¨

I really didn´t know anycraft with 400 people landed at Cozumel. But it probably seemed like 400 but more likely 100 or so.