We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bad Chedraui experience

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Texas
reviews: 7
Bad Chedraui experience

We have been coming to Cozumel before Mega opened so have always had a nostalgic feeling for Chedraui. Last year I returned laundry detergent because they had charged me 3500 pesos instead of 350. It wasn't a problem getting a refund but it made me pay more attention to my receipt.

This time I bought a thermometer that had no mercury. We had a good laugh trying to take a temperature that was never going anywhere. I tried to return or exchange the next day with the original packaging and receipt. We were first sent to the pharmacy area where we had purchased only to be told "NO, NO, NO!" with vigorous finger shaking. We then went to customer service where they looked at it shrugged and said no return. I said an exchange would be fine but was told no. I gave up and left with no refund, no thermometer and no desire to return.

Maybe if I was a local I would have been treated differently but from now on I will do all of my grocery shopping at Mega. Mega is, in my opinion, cleaner, better stocked and more customer oriented to non locals. I am sad to give up on Chadraui, and will miss their donuts, but have lost confidence in them.

Quebec City, Canada
reviews: 175
1. Re: Bad Chedraui experience

its just too bad for you

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 12
2. Re: Bad Chedraui experience

Nope re whether you're a local or a visitor. They treat everyone equally! They have good days & bad days. Mega customer service is the same way.

Texas
3. Re: Bad Chedraui experience

Good to know everyone is equally treated badly :) I still think Mega has Chedraui beat in every way.......except for their donuts.

Berthoud CO
reviews: 38
4. Re: Bad Chedraui experience

I have a different take on Mega and Chedraui.

I've been visiting since before Mega.

I start off at Mega, impressed by their largess, their international suave and by how big their deli section is.

I go back to Chedraui because I think their pastries are better, they sell shrimp with the head on, and they have a better selection of local vegetables.

Chedraui has Pastel Tres Leches more often.

Mega didn't ever seem to have it this trip.

See where my priorities are? :-D

cozumel
reviews: 1
5. Re: Bad Chedraui experience

Try putting the thermometer in hot water to see if it shocks back to life. Agree, customer service is a very equal opportunity roll of the dice.

Chedraui has good prices usually on name brand medications. Their roasted chicken is cooked until done, never partially raw (medium rare?). If you want better, regionally grown produce, try the mercado or various family owned markets.

Mega has the self serve deli products that if you want a sample, dip your finger in or taste from the serving spoon as many people do. Mega looks better and cleaner, but often has some serious food handling and sanitation issues. Under cooked chicken and meat department irregularities scare me. Mega also boasts a higher number of customer credit card "incidents". I love the specially lighting at Mega that helps the meat and produce to look so much better than when you get to check out aisle.

I prefer many products at Soriana and appreciate their often mature and superior bag packers. I hate the miniature plastic bags (I usually bring canvass environmental consideration bags) the mainstay of Chedraui and the bag kids that pack the bread on the bottom, underneath the can goods.

Texas
6. Re: Bad Chedraui experience

I talked to some locals tonight that said returning or exchanging anything at Chedraui was impossible without throwing a loud fit and Mega was much easier to deal with. I guess I was more disappointed than surprised. Can't try shocking the thermometer, I left it at Chedraui. Everyone, even the clerks at Chedrauis proclaimed it broken. They just were not going to replace or refund.

corpus christi texas
7. Re: Bad Chedraui experience

Do they really have actual mercury thermometers? I have tried finding one for a while but never thought to look in Mexico!

Texas
8. Re: Bad Chedraui experience

Maybe it is no longer mercury, but this was an empty glass tube.

corpus christi texas
9. Re: Bad Chedraui experience

I would give a lot to have a old mercury thermometer! I have a thyroid condition and the new fat glass kind (have no idea what's in them) don't ever work on me! And the digital ones never "beep" for me either. My normal temp is around 96.

You had my hopes up!

Sorry you had problems withe chedraui. I like both stores for different things but never had to exchange or return anything.

North Carolina
reviews: 4
10. Re: Bad Chedraui experience

Imabeachlover,

How much did you pay for the thermometer?

Cheers!