We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Crocodiles on Cozumel

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois...
reviews: 2
Crocodiles on Cozumel

I've seen many posts and threads here saying that the crocs on this island are saltwater crocodiles. NOT SO. These are American Crocodiles, Crocodylus acutus. Just wanted to make sure folks knew what they were seeing. I'm enjoying the island for the very first time and looking forward to seeing my first croc on the island. Google Earth has shown some promising lagoons for crocs, the introduced boa and I'm hoping to see a Vine Snake (Oxybellis, a rear fanged snake but not dangerous to humans). If anyone has seen any neat reptile sightings I would love to know. THank you, Rob

Rob Carmichael, Curator of the Wildlife Discovery Center

Cozumel, Mexico
1. Re: Crocodiles on Cozumel

Just go golfing....or to the lagoon at Punta Sur and you are almost assured to see crocs. My husband has pics of some big ones on the golf course.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 61
2. Re: Crocodiles on Cozumel

All the things I hope not to see, Rob. But seriously, I have seen many crocodiles but never a boa, or any snakes, really. Enjoy the island and good luck in your search.

Cozumel, Mexico
reviews: 5
3. Re: Crocodiles on Cozumel

Contact Rafael Chacón, Director of Ecology or Adrian

(from Especias) former Director of Ecology for information on flora and fauna of the island. Instituto Nacional de Antropología e Historia(INAH) identifies the cocodrilos amarillo(yellow croc) as a resident of the island. I have seen Blind Snakes in my garden or house from time to time, have also seen boas on some of the jungle tour normally near less visted cenote. Yellow-red Rat Snake have been reported on the island. Enjoy your stay ! ! !

Richmond, Virginia
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 28
4. Re: Crocodiles on Cozumel

I have often wondered why I never saw roadkill snakes on the island.

I saw my first croc "in the wild" inside Puerto Abrigo while we were docking after a long day of kite board lessons. Apparently they are attracted to this area due to fish being cleaned. Of course I've seen them at Punta Sur and the golf course, so I guess those were sort of in the wild too.

Here's one guarding my golf ball. I took a drop rather than have a discussion about it.

https:/…

Del Rio, Texas
reviews: 39
5. Re: Crocodiles on Cozumel

Saw a pair of crocs almost every evening around dusk...swimming south to north past Coral Princess.

Olathe, Kansas
reviews: 42
6. Re: Crocodiles on Cozumel

mslf500 - priceless picture. I am sure I would take the drop rather than ask for my ball. LOL

Gatineau, Quebec
reviews: 37
7. Re: Crocodiles on Cozumel

Hi Rob,

The best place to see lots of you little friends is on the golf course talk to Benny at the golf course he will take you around. They have birds, iguanas,

tarantulas, snakes and the crocks are salt water on the island.

We were on the different tours in the ever glades and the pro their told us that's what they are.

We have seen some on the golf course around 13 feet long on cold days...

…wikipedia.org/wiki/…29.jpg

Have fun will be in Cozumel golfing very soon...

Lyne

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
8. Re: Crocodiles on Cozumel

Hope Rob got the advice he needed and finds the crocs. I only know they are crocs but will take the experts word for it , when he says they are not salt water crocs. I had often heard that also.

Chicago, Illinois...
9. Re: Crocodiles on Cozumel

Thanks for all of the suggestions folks!! I'm enjoying my time here immensely and have seen so much wildlife...I love to hike the mangrove swawmps and discovered a hidden lagoon that has a young croc. I also went to Punta Sur where many live and now hope to get to the north end to see what's up there. Thanks for the advnice on the golf course too - will check out today or tomorrow. BTW...These are NOT Saltwater Crocodiles; they are American Crocodiles that just happen to like to hang around brackish/riparian habitat. I'm a crocodile biologist and it's great to see them being so well cared for here along with habitat for other forms of wildlife. Now I have to figure out how to stay here permanently:-)

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
10. Re: Crocodiles on Cozumel

Nice to hear you are finding what you wanted here. Also appreciate the information that these are not saltwater crocs. I have had many argue that point with me. Nice to hear it from an expert.

Hope you can find a way to stay permanently. Sounds like you and Cozumel are a good match.