We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rent car on ferryboat?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brasilia, DF
reviews: 11
Rent car on ferryboat?

Some says I can´t board with a rental car on the ferry from Playa del Carmen to Cozumel, some says i do can. So, what is the latest information about it?

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 2
1. Re: Rent car on ferryboat?

If you mean the car ferry just south of PDC, you can. If you mean does your car rental agency allow you to take the vehicle on the car ferry...I do not know.

You should ask your car rental company.

I would question your need to do so considering the reported time required and your time on Cozumel.

Edited: 8:31 pm, November 16, 2012
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
2. Re: Rent car on ferryboat?

I think the rental companies will allow it but not sure why you would want to do it. The ferry is expensive and time consuming. To me, much better to rent a car on the island.

Union, Oregon
reviews: 262
3. Re: Rent car on ferryboat?

The rental companies we have used did not allow you to take the car onto the islands.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
4. Re: Rent car on ferryboat?

I dont know which companies but I have had two visitors bring their cars to the island. Of course, I also ask them why they would do that. It may be that they just didnt ask the rental car company if they could do it.

Tennessee Ridge...
reviews: 50
5. Re: Rent car on ferryboat?

Last time I checked it was a lot cheaper and less trouble to just return my car in Cozumel and rent a new one in PDC because of the high cost of the Car ferry when I drove to Chicken Itza in the middle of our stay.

Edited: 7:01 am, November 17, 2012
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
6. Re: Rent car on ferryboat?

I believe the OP was referring to renting on the mainland and bringing the car to Cozumel. It may not be allowed to take a vehicle rented in Cozumel to the mainland. One reason is because , as one rental agency told me, insurance is bought much cheaper on the island and may not be valid on the mainland.

7. Re: Rent car on ferryboat?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, December 16, 2013