We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scooter hire

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 62
Scooter hire

Has anyone got any past experience in maybe hiring scooters on Cozumel ? Where to hire ? How much? Road conditions. Etc? Thanks. Loz

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
51. Re: Scooter hire

More good advice, okd. You also have experience dealing with local traffic and condtions on the island, which helps. But to have no experience with a moped on Cozumel and put another persons life at risk, is another story.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 3
52. Re: Scooter hire

I just came back from Coz and rented a scooter from ISIS when I was there. It is still $20 per day and you need to return before 6pm if you don't want to keep it over night. Overall, I would recommend to those who had scooter experience and just wanted to cruise around. The advantage to have a scooter is so you can stop anywhere along the way. Espeically by the beach side where they have scooters only lane (although many cars violate the rule). And I believe it is more scenic on the scooter lane than on the car lane (hence so many car just drive on the scooter lane). Although the traffic by the centro area can be a little bit dangerous, it is totally safe with the wide open road once you leave the centro zone. However, with only $15 dollars more, I think people can drive car feeling safer. Personnally, I just enjoy the sccoter ride in a tropic island. Oh.....the scooter is not new (about 33K) but in a relatively good shape.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
53. Re: Scooter hire

Good you survived it. I would disagree it is ever ¨totally safe¨. And I have seen many serious scooter accidents on the ¨wide open road¨.

northern California
reviews: 13
54. Re: Scooter hire

I've been renting a scooter in Cozumel from ISIS for the last 12 years or so and prefer it over using a car by far. Yes, caution is definitely needed, especially in town with cars and scooters and bikes zipping around on the left and right side.

I rent a car , when friends are coming with me or meeting me there, but I'm much happier when I can go back to 'my moto'. Parking is so much easier in town and having the warm wind blow thru me going around the island is fabulous.

Edited: 9:05 pm, February 07, 2014
Southeastern...
reviews: 18
55. Re: Scooter hire

I'll rent a VW bug for 10 dollars more for a grand total of 30 dollars a day from ISIS and will feel much safer then riding a moped. Traffic aside did you ever drive one of those in the rain? The roads are like ice with all the oil on them. I have when I was young and dumb and slid right over a toped and was lucky I wasn't hurt more.

Hancock, New...
reviews: 92
56. Re: Scooter hire

That's not a scooter-only lane. It's a bicycle-only lane.

Vancouver, Canada
reviews: 61
57. Re: Scooter hire

the paved side road might not be for scooters but when I drove on it for it's entirety I didn't see one bicycle, only scooters. It's wide enough and safe enough for scooters to get around any bikes that are on there. Some cars at times, but even that was not unsafe.

I found the entire scooter rental to be safe, and worth every second of it. We drove the entire east side of the island on the scooter in the 'bike' lane and then cut through the middle of the island back to the city. The city driving was a bit scary but nothing bad. If people are worried than just turn back around and take the separate paved 'bike' lane that is not part of the highway. We rented from Rooster Scooters.

People have bad experiences renting scooters, so if you are worried or not a very good driver than don't do it. But many people rent and don't have any payment, mechanical or medical problems from it. They just don't write about them as much

okc
reviews: 46
58. Re: Scooter hire

the paved side road might not be for scooters but when I drove on it for it's entirety I didn't see one bicycle, only scooters

Well then that makes it ok. You can drive the wrong way thru traffic i gues if there is none but doesnt make it right

Hancock, New...
reviews: 92
59. Re: Scooter hire

"the paved side road might not be for scooters but when I drove on it for it's entirety I didn't see one bicycle, only scooters. It's wide enough and safe enough for scooters to get around any bikes that are on there. Some cars at times, but even that was not unsafe."

There are signs up saying it's for bicycles only. I've seen bicycles on it EVERY time I've been there. Whether you have seen bicycles or not, whether you think it's safe for scooters or not, and whether you've seen scooters and cars on it or not, that's still how it's posted.

If local police want to cite you for riding a scooter on it, they're fully-justified in doing so. Do you recommend I go to Vancouver and ride my 1200cc Ducati or my car on the posted bike lanes there? If I get cited and argue with the judge that it was perfectly safe and there was plenty of room for little Suzy's tricycle, are you going to support me in court?

ely mn
reviews: 7
60. Re: Scooter hire

I saw a wicked scooter wreck in the East side of the island. Our private driver could not

even get a signal or cb for help. Scooter accidents are a everyday occurance on the island.