We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

beach snorkel vs reef snorkel tour

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
ronaldj
beach snorkel vs reef snorkel tour

what is the difference between beach and reef snorkel tour . which is better/

Cornelius, North...
reviews: 41
1. Re: beach snorkel vs reef snorkel tour

It all depends on where you go. As a diver I can tell you that the shallower you are, the more sea life you will see. I would try to find out how deep the reef is on the boat tour. If it is more than 25 feet, opt for the shore one. Snorkelling of the shore will probably keep the reef within 15-20 feet of the water surface. I think some of the best diving in Cozumel is in 20 feet of water off the beach at the Presidente Intercontinental.

Cozumel, Mexico
2. Re: beach snorkel vs reef snorkel tour

Because of the position of the main reefs, and the strong currents, the best way to see the reefs here is off boats. There are a few places where there is some good shore snorkeling, but nothing like boat snorkeling. When you jump off a boat with an experienced crew that puts you right on top of the reef, you can drift snorkel for 35-45 minutes and see much more than from any shore. You do this 3-4 times on a good snorkeling tour (one that goes to good destinations) and you have snorkeled alot. Off the shore is ok, but usually you have to stay closer to shore, and swim back to get out where you got in, if you go too far out you drift and walk back. Shore snorkeling is ok at Corona Beach, Chankanaab Park, Fiesta Americana/Dzul Ha, Presidente Hotel (if you can get in past security), and Villablanca.

Enjoy Cozumel!!!

Arlington, Texas
3. Re: beach snorkel vs reef snorkel tour

Reef snorkel of a boat is the way to go! BUT....some of these boats drop their people right by the shore. Some are only 100 feet offshore. MAke sure you ask you boat operator where he is taken you. I have been diving many times on Columbia Shallows Reef on the south end of the island. Only to look up and see snorkelers above us. This reef is absolutely beautiful and in about 20-25 feet of water. The boat is a catamaran that I have seen down there. Do a google serach for "catamaran snorkeling cozumel" and see what you find. E-mail the shops and ask them if they go to Columbia Shallows. If they do BOOK IT!!!!! You WILL NOT be disappointed! If scuba divers are hitting that reef, you now the snorkeling will be good!