We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another Reason Not to Rent Scooters

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 57
Another Reason Not to Rent Scooters

Another tourist was killed Thursday morning in a scooter accident.

She was from Mississippi and apparently lost control in the north hotel zone and hit a pole. She was from a cruise ship.

Another reason why we say rent a car and avoid the scooters.

It was a bad day for traffic accidents in Cozumel. About 6 hours later, what is being called a tricycle, or I suppose an off road vehicle of some sort, was hit by a police vehicle responding to a call. This was on the transversal and apparently the vehicle entered for a side road with no lights. A family of four was aboard and the father and two children were killed and the mother hospitalized.

Be careful with any vehicle but especially avoid the scooters.

Edited: 5:11 am, November 18, 2011
Livingston, Scotland
reviews: 4
1. Re: Another Reason Not to Rent Scooters

That is such a shame - feel for the families.

I ride a scooter - proper metal bodied Vespa mind - every day and have done so for the past 25 years but I would never rent a scooter on holiday - anywhere! I'd only be on one if I'd bought it myself and knew exactly what it was about - oh and if I was used to the traffic!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
2. Re: Another Reason Not to Rent Scooters

Its a very good point . Just because you can ride a scooter elsewhere, doesnt mean its a good idea to rent one on vacation.

I was wrong about the vehicle involved. Its exactly as was stated, a tricycle like the ones used around the ferry pier and all over the island to transport goods--and sometimes a family , as was the case here.

Appleton, Wisconsin
reviews: 16
3. Re: Another Reason Not to Rent Scooters

How sad...

Could not imagine this happening to a family member on vacation...

DC

Pennsylvania
reviews: 73
4. Re: Another Reason Not to Rent Scooters

There was a girl in a wheelchair on our plane ride home last Saturday. She had been injured in a scooter accident that week during her vacation. She was pretty banged up.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
5. Re: Another Reason Not to Rent Scooters

Very sad and so sorry for the Mexican family too. I just looked at the story in Por Esta about the scooter accident and could not believe they had a compete photo of her drivers license with none of the information blanked out. But it is Por Esto.

Oklahoma City
reviews: 10
6. Re: Another Reason Not to Rent Scooters

So sad. I hate to hear that news and can't believe scooters are still rented, we hear this more and more.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
7. Re: Another Reason Not to Rent Scooters

Really , that was why I posted this. Maybe it will convince some people to reconsider renting a scooter.

And I should have said Por Esto.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 2
8. Re: Another Reason Not to Rent Scooters

Added link to the Scooter Top Question. We try to advise people but so many never see the cautions...or perhaps ignore them.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 54
9. Re: Another Reason Not to Rent Scooters

I have seen enough road rashes on crashes on my trips to Cozumel to know I would never rent a scooter. I have found you can tell people until you are blue in the face not to rent them, but there are those that have their mind set to do something that you just won' change. What amazes me is the amount of people that rent them that do not ride at home, nor have any experience in riding. Eventually the phrase, you can't help stupid comes to mind, as sad as that is to say it is true.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
10. Re: Another Reason Not to Rent Scooters

You are correct, you cant help stupid. One day I was at ISIS and watched two tourists ride off on their scooters. One almost got hit at the first intersection and the other ran up on the sidewalk in the second block. But both stopped and shared a laugh and went on their way. Hope they made it.

Edited: 11:03 am, November 18, 2011