We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How bad are the bugs??

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Haven, CT
reviews: 3
How bad are the bugs??

I'm booked at the Occidental Grand for Sep. 10-17 and have read some "buggy" reviews. How bad are they really? Is it during the day while your at the pool/beach? or just at dusk? Thanks in advance. My first time to Mexico and am very much looking forward to it!!

Cozumel, Mexico
reviews: 54
1. Re: How bad are the bugs??

Well, what you have to remember is these large resorts such as the Occidental were built in an area where there is a lot of mangrove. Mangrove is protected by the government(unless you have a lot of money and can pay to build on it) and is essential to providing nutrients to the reef there. You are always going to have bugs there becuase the fresh water flows from the mangrove into the ocean. Really, the worst time is going to be at dusk. The daytime will not be so bad. I would not be too concerned about it and just bring some mosquito spray and avoid being outside right around dusk.

Toronto, ON
reviews: 2
2. Re: How bad are the bugs??

I am going to be at the Occidental Sept 3 - 12th, and have been before during the same time period. There were mosquito's last year, but only at dusk really. But if you take a repellent with Deet you'll be fine. It must have Deet though....there was a couple down there who used the Avon cream repellent (which doesn't have deet) and they were bitten absolutely everywhere.

Dallas
reviews: 1
3. Re: How bad are the bugs??

We used the OFF Skintastic in Tropical Scent and it worked great! We were bitten up if we didn't have it on (Evenings only). I know many people say you must have deet, but the off worked for us. I don't like the deet chemicals...especially for my kids. Got my off at Walmart and it really smells good... not like bug spray.

New Haven, CT
reviews: 3
4. Re: How bad are the bugs??

Thanks much all for the good advise!!

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 49
5. Re: How bad are the bugs??

Had to laugh reading the post from Tom of Hotel Flamingo. Reminded me of what I just read regarding a certain beach club who apparently thought he had paid enough to destroy the mangroves for construction! Appears it wasnt so !