We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Drink the water?

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
boston, ma
reviews: 1
Drink the water?

My wife and I are going to stay at the El Coz with some friends on the first week of Feb.

Is it safe to drink the water from the tap in the resort? What about frozen drinks and drinks with ice cubes?

Any other tips on things to stay away from? Maybe hand made icecream or other dairy?

One of the girls in our party is pregnant so I want to get as much info as possible...

Thanks!

Tinton Falls, NJ
1. Re: Drink the water?

It depends on what type of hotel you are staying at. If it a classy hotel with a considerable amount of stars, then they usually have a filtration system for your water, meaning drinking and showering water. You can also ask your travel agent too or the front desk for their opinion. Have Fun!

Puerto Escondido...
2. Re: Drink the water?

NEVER drink from the tap.

Drinks and cubes are safe.

Only drink bottled water.

Spring Lake...
reviews: 27
3. Re: Drink the water?

The hotel should supply you with bottled water. Use this to brush your teeth--DO NOT DRINK from the tap!! Most hotels have =fountain like machine that you can get pop and water out of--these are ok.

When ever we travel abroad and we have been to Mexico 4 times and Dominicain Republic 2 times, we start a week before and continue taking the week we are there--Acidophilus pills. When we are on vacation we take 1 pill with each meal, the week prior we take 1 at night. I do not know if it helps to take it the week prior but my doctor told me it would not hurt us that it could only help. You can get them at the grocery/Target/Walmart by the vitamins. Acidophlilus is the same active live cultures that is in yogurt. We have never had a problem at all. I always bring stuff to be safe but have only had to use the TUMS!!

One of our vacations the other couple she was pregnant--her ob/gyn told her that is ok to take Acidophilus better to be safe and have her check it out.

Wisconsin
Destination Expert
for Cancun
reviews: 87
4. Re: Drink the water?

I just got back from the El Coz and absolutely LOVED it. I've been to Mexico several different times, have NEVER gotten sick. I use tap water to brush my teeth, but I do shy away from drinking out of the tap. The resort supplies you with bottled water, so be safe and drink that. I had a many pina colada and such, never bothered me. Ate all the food I could get down. I also drank and ate outside of the resort many times during our 9 day stay. If I feel like I'm not 100%, I just take a slug of Pepto, and nothing ever comes of it! I'm no doctor, so if someone is pregnant, there may be other precautions, but otherwise, I personally suggest not to be over worried about it.

Moncton, NB
5. Re: Drink the water?

They say never to drink it unless you have to, but if I were you I would take the Twinrix shot! Protects you from Hep A & B. I'm going to Cozumel in Feb also, but with a Cruise ship!

I hope you enjoy your trip!

Monvtale, NJ
6. Re: Drink the water?

Be careful with the bottled water. Only drink recognizable name brands like Evian. I just returned from Secrets Excellence and they have their own brand of "Ultra Purified" bottled water - I got sick.