We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

renting a car in Cozumel

Which Cozumel hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Stephenville, TX
reviews: 1
renting a car in Cozumel

I hear it is a $19 cab ride into town from the Iberostar one way. We are considering renting a car for a day or two and touring the east side. Any reccomendations as to whether to book it ahead of time online or where to get it once we are down there? We would like to find a car that will seat 6 - any reccomendations would be appreciated.

toronto, ca
1. Re: renting a car in Cozumel

we researched the prices on the web before going...they can vary quite a bit. We booked only with avis, we wanted to rent from a reputable company. They came and picked us up at the hotel and took us back to the office to fill out the paper work. when we dropped it off they gave us a lift back to our hotel

phivestring@hotmail.com

Houston
2. Re: renting a car in Cozumel

How much money for a small car? How long of a drive to their office and back is it? Do you have phone # or email for Avis?

Vancouver, BC
reviews: 11
3. Re: renting a car in Cozumel

We stayed at the Melia, there was a Fiesta car rental agent in our hotel who was down rude to me, after I waited for 45 minutes he took an older Mexican fellow who'd only been there 10 minutes before me. When talking to other patrons of the hotel they also had complaints, like charging $90 US per day for a junker and another fellow was out and out ripped off, the agent asked for an extra $20 for taxes it had to be cash and then he put it in his pocket. I ended up renting from Executive, called the day before from the hotel, they picked up and dropped off as well as having a number of offices throughout town. We got a practically brand new jeep (8,000 miles on it) for $50/day. I highly recommend driving around the island, if you go to the Mayan ruins take some serious bug spray with you, the mosquitos are nasty. Parque Punta Sur is very cool too, for $6 they'll take you to the lighthouse and to the crocodile sanctuary, it would be a loooong walk. And you've got to stop for a drink at Paradise Cafe, it might actually be called Freedom Paradise or something like that, it's just before Punta Sur. We had lunch at Chen Rio, the food was awesome, but if you eat or drink there be prepared for the flies. Hope this helps.

NJ
4. Re: renting a car in Cozumel

Hello, we rented a Matiz from Budget (a small car for 4-5 people) for $130 for 2 days; this included $25 for 2 days of full insurance coverage. I suggest you go with the national companie (Budget/Hertz) because they offer 100% collision coverage. Some of the other companies may charge less, but they may have deductible. We initially were going to get a VW Bug for 50/day, but found there was a $700 deductible if you got in an accident. If you have time or want to be real prepared, see whether your present car insurance company will cover you for any problems that occur.

Chelmsford, UK
reviews: 78
5. Re: renting a car in Cozumel

We rented a mid-sized car from Hertz using their central online reservations at home. The price, including CDW was quoted at $416.00 for the 5 days, not cheap but then we wanted comfort, automatic and A/C. On arrival we found that the only car in this class was out of order, and were offered a replacement in the class below. This was a complete wreck, had no indicators working, and on checkin the spare tire, we found it was flat, and there was no jack in case we needed to change a tire anyway! We turned the car back after 2 hours, and were offered yet again a downgrade, which was a small Ford Fiesta, had A/C but had shift, no auto, which was no problem. Before we accepted it, we asked to check the spare, and guess what there was none, again. The guy just went to another car and gave us its spare. Guess what the client for that car got? no spare! There was no water in the screen wash, we had to put this in ourselves, the car was filthy with sand everywhere in it. We complained something bitter, which got us a sizeable discount of 50% when we finally turned in the car. This was the shoddiest service and quality we ever got from Hertz, anywhere. BTW, be sure to know what you are signing for in respect of the CDW. They do not cover the entire cost of the car, and there is a sizeable load of money excluded from compensation!Other than that, rent a car on Cozumel. It's a small island, but everything is always that little bit too far, and taxis are expensive. But I can't recommend Hertz!Jeanne

new york city
6. Re: renting a car in Cozumel

I went to travelocity.com and got a car for the week for 175 with all tax and fees not including insurance if your credit card or current insurance company wont cover you. but the insurance is only $7 per day.

the car we rented was a ford focus. i don't kow how it will do witht he road in cozumel tough. seems as if everyone is suggesting we get a jeep suv or atv.

oh well beats the $20 per cab ride.

7. Re: renting a car in Cozumel

you might have a hard time getting a vehicle that seats six. most of the rentals are jeeps and smaller cars. we have squeezed six in a jeep but it is illegal. on our last trip, 4 of us rode in the jeep and two of us followed along in scooters. it was a blast, and it seemed safer driving close behind our freinds in the jeep.

i suggest getting an early start, before the roads get too busy. and take your time, stop off at places along the way. it doesnt take long to do a full loop of the island if you just drive it. stop often and enjoy meeting the locals.

Spring Lake...
reviews: 27
8. Re: renting a car in Cozumel

dvasbulique--did you rent the car in Cozumel?? Do you know what it was to rent for a day or 2 at travelocity?? We would really like to rent a car for a day but I keep reading all these horror stories from people. We are going the end of Jan '05 so I have some time to research this all out if not we do the taxi thing!

Portland, OR
reviews: 11
9. Re: renting a car in Cozumel

We had a fine experience renting from little Rentadora Isis. A very nice woman runs it and we got a good deal on a VW bug for just 1 day for a trip around the island. I think it was around $30 all together. She was very good when we brought it back. I've had crooked rental agencies find invisible scuffs, so it was a relief to get fair and friendly treatment. It was a block or two off the Zocalo. Whatever you do, DON'T stop at Mezcalito's on the windward side. Blech.

Eldon, MO
10. Re: renting a car in Cozumel

Do you HAVE to use a credit card upon renting a car? I have heard some terrible stories about cc fraud?!