We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tulum - chichen itza - merida

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Chichen Itza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Maidenhead, United...
Tulum - chichen itza - merida

Hi there,

My partner and I are visiting Mexico in may/June. Our schedule is a little tight and I was looking for advice on bus travel and timings for chichen Itza.

We'll travel by bus late afternoon from Tulum to Chichen Itza and stay overnight somewhere (maybe hacienda) in order to be able to visit the ruins of chichen itza early the next day and miss the crowds.

Do you think it's worthwhile to take our bags and store them that day at the ruins so that we can hop on a bus that evening on to Merida? We do have time to stay another night at the ruins if that is preferable but I've heard that the earliest bus the next day is not until2pm. Is there enough to do locally to warrant an extra night in chichen Itza or should we push on to Merida on the same day?

Any advice would be greatly received please.

Colo Spgs
Destination Expert
for Cozumel
reviews: 2
1. Re: Tulum - chichen itza - merida

Another option is to go to Valladolid. From there it is about a 40 minute taxi ride to C. Itza.

Also consider seeing the Ek Balam ruins and Ik Kil cenote (close to C. Itza).

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
2. Re: Tulum - chichen itza - merida

Agree with Valladolid. And you have the option of buses , collectivos or taxis to Chichen. I really wouldnt want a night at Chichen. Really nothing there. I would either opt for Valladolid or move on to Merida. AD has first class buses from Chichen to Itza at 220 and 515 PM.

www.ado.com.mx

Maidenhead, United...
3. Re: Tulum - chichen itza - merida

Thanks for the feedback. So it seems that getting to the ruins early in the day is a winner and then catching the 5pm bus to Merida will work well.

Now for another annoying question! Do you think it will be sufficient to buy our ADO tickets for Merida on the day, as we arrive at the chichen site?

I have read a lot of other posts of people worrying about space on buses, especially as chichen is more like a drop off on the route than a final destination. The general consensus is always that it should be fine but if anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. Many thanks.

Cozumel, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Cozumel, Merida
reviews: 67
4. Re: Tulum - chichen itza - merida

Sounds like a good plan although if I arrived early, the 5 PM bus would be way too much time at Chichen for me. The buses are usually not full too far in advance but why not buy your ticket at ADO in Tulum in advance. If the ADO first class buses are full, ADOs second class line, Oriente, has a number of buses per day from Chichen to Merida. Not my first choice but a good back up.

Edited: 5:18 am, May 07, 2012
Cape Cod
5. Re: Tulum - chichen itza - merida

To get back to your original question, I recommend a different travel itinerary. Valladolid is fine, but frankly it pales compared to Merida, which is where you are going anyway. I'd skip it, unless you were planning to see Ek Balam.

I recommend sticking with your plan of traveling from Tulum to Chichen in the evening and then overnighting near the ruins. If you stay at the Hacienda Chichen (or the Mayaland or Delores Alba), you can leave your luggage in your room while you explore Chichen Itza. That's certainly better than 1) leaving your luggage in Valladolid and then having to get a ride back there or 2) storing your luggage at the visitor center at Chichen.

After visiting Chichen, I'd go back to your room, gather your belongings and then catch the 2 p.m. bus to Merida. I'm on the same page with Robert and Co_pilot, as there isn't a lot to do around Chichen to warrant two nights based on your itinerary and that you will be traveling by bus. There is more than enough to keep you busy in Merida.

Have a great trip!

6. Re: Tulum - chichen itza - merida

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:40 pm, June 22, 2013