We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

12/21/2012 - Chichen Itza

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Chichen Itza hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ontario
reviews: 56
12/21/2012 - Chichen Itza

Will we be able to get in early to Chichen Itza on this date? We were hoping to be at El Castillo at around 6 am if at all possible?

Thank you

Cape Cod
1. Re: 12/21/2012 - Chichen Itza

Six a.m.? Probably not, unless you sneak in. The park opens at 8. You never know, though, INAH and CULTUR (the federal and state agencies, respectively, that oversee entrance to the archaeological zone) may let folks in early, but I doubt it.

Have a great trip!

Progreso, Mexico
reviews: 28
2. Re: 12/21/2012 - Chichen Itza

Actually, on major event days (Iike the solstice or equinox) many of the Maya ruins open very early. But when it comes to December 21 2012, I doubt if they will close it overnight at all. There could be tens of thousands of people at Chichen Itza those nights; getting them all out will be impossible. (Having said that, I booked my hotel for those nights two years ago.)

Cape Cod
3. Re: 12/21/2012 - Chichen Itza

Dzibulchaltun north of Merida opens early, but not Chichen Itza, at least on the equinox. But then, who knows what will happen on Dec. 21? Neither INAH nor CULTUR have released their plans.

Merida, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Merida, Chichen Itza
reviews: 40
4. Re: 12/21/2012 - Chichen Itza

They will wait until the last minute. Then change the decision a day after that.

Petersham...
5. Re: 12/21/2012 - Chichen Itza

I have been to Chichen Itza for Equinox sunrises. Always they let people in who showed up. We watched the sun rise from the top of the pyramid.

All will be let into the site for sunrise. The Spirit of Place would have it no other way.

Robert

Darlington, Maryland
reviews: 42
6. Re: 12/21/2012 - Chichen Itza

Well, forget about climbing the pyramid. That is not allowed at Chichen at all. But if you are staying at one of hotels close to the site, the folks there should be fully aware of the schedule for 12/21.

Los Angeles...
7. Re: 12/21/2012 - Chichen Itza

THIS might be cool...

http://maya2012tour.com/index.html

Darlington, Maryland
reviews: 42
8. Re: 12/21/2012 - Chichen Itza

That 12/21 link is very interesting, particularly the part about the special entrance into the Mayan Ceremonial Center. When we were first there, in 1994, you could climb the pyramid and get to the temple-type structure at the top. But we could also climb INSIDE the pyramid (if you look at some of the pictures, you'll see a doorway at the base of one of the steps). That is an EXTREMELY narrow stairway that is probably one of the pyramids that current pyramid was built ON TOP of (they did that). And at the top is a little room with a jaguar table. It's claustrophic but amazing!

Krakow, Poland
9. Re: 12/21/2012 - Chichen Itza

And what about Palenque? :)

Mexico City, Mexico
10. Re: 12/21/2012 - Chichen Itza

Do you know of any planned events for the day? Wecan't find anything specific.