it's been a couple of years since I made the drive, but here's what I know:
If you are talking about driving from Merida to Tulum in one day with a stop at Chichen Itza it is doable. From Merida, Chichen Itza is about 90 min. to two hours. From Chichen Itza, Tulum is about 130 kilometers or two to two-and-a-half hours depending on your route and speed of travel. There is a lot to see along the way, notably:
- Gruta Balancanche, a cave with Maya artifacts inside, kind of an underground musuem;
- The prison at Ebtun, outside of which are sold some of the best hammocks in Yucatan
- The city of Valladolid, with its impressive town square (zocalo), numerous cenotes, and great restaurants.
- Ek Balam, which is somewhat out of the way, but an impressive Maya ruin
- Coba, which is a short diversion off the highway, and an impressive ruin, much still covered in forest.
These and other distractions await you. Have a great trip!
Thank you very much for this information. We have found it most useful.
-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-
This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.
To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html
We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.