We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single gay man going to Cancun

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berkeley, California
reviews: 7
Single gay man going to Cancun

Hello all

I decided to go enjoy my 42nd birthday in Cancun in August , for 2 weeks.

I am gay, single and traveling by myself.

I need help with suggestions for hotel / resort , and Mayan excursions ?

Do you think car rental is necessary ?

Is the downtown of cancun attractive and busy ?

I am starting to get nervous as the only gay resort is in Tulum and the reviews about it are mixed ...

Thank you in advance

32 replies to this topic
Albany, New York
21. Re: Single gay man going to Cancun

When I stayed at Me Cancun last year I saw various gay couples. The hotel is a European chain, and is very modern and hipsterish as many European chains are. Given this I think they have been marketing it as LBGT friendly, LuxuryLink.com has had some decent deals there lately. If you've got some questions about Me Cancun feel free to PM me for my thoughts.

Los Angeles...
reviews: 128
22. Re: Single gay man going to Cancun

I think Cancun is more gay friendly than many other cities in Mexico. One of my BFF is a gay single man and he loves Cancun. Just take all the precautions as you would going to any other resort spots in the U.S. and you'll have fun.

Sayulita, Mexico
reviews: 78
23. Re: Single gay man going to Cancun

As a gay man in Cancun?well i do not think it will be a problem if you stay in the hotelzone.While living in a hotel in downtown may not be so suitable, as i noticed many old standards of machoculture and intolerance.I think the employees in the hotelzone is more trained in service and to tolerate all kinds of sexual orientations.The nightlife in Cancun like the partystrip from Mandala to Congobongo etc, is an enviroment very orientated towards a heterosexual crowd with female gogo dancers dancing around the poles and tables.For night life i recommend going a couple blocks from the ADO busstation and along the Avenida Tulum for clubs like 2:12:2,Sexy Club or the many gaybars with openbar for 80 pesos,beat that Cocobongo!

Best beach for hooking up?Try the Imperador beach.

I lived in Downtown and can´t say avenida Tulum suited me very much but my gayfriend was very happy.He met the love of his life right on strip of Avenida Tulum.I got very happy for that, as i didn´t have to be his wingman any more=) And we could be more on the clubs i liked the most.

Atlanta, Georgia
24. Re: Single gay man going to Cancun

Temptation is not overly singles friendly. Apparently a lot of Travel Agencies in the UK bill it as "the Ultimate Swinger Resort". This causes a real problem at times due to the huge number of 20 -25 year old single guys. I went for a coffee run at 5 AM one morning and 20-30 of these guys were still at it . Security used a garden hose to wrap up the nights activities. Quite a few of them were "grabaholics" at the niteclub. I really doubt any of the gay guys would suffer from this condition.

Edited: 3:59 pm, July 26, 2013
Sayulita, Mexico
reviews: 78
25. Re: Single gay man going to Cancun

@plumeriafan i can´t really understand what a bunch of singles guys is thinking?Temptations?well sure there are some pretty single girls but they only hook up with what they can´t get at home.

Berkeley, California
reviews: 7
26. Re: Single gay man going to Cancun

Hello everybody again !

few questions ?

1. do you think it is a good idea to spend few days in Isle Mujeres, as it looks more quiet and away from the hustle and bustle ?

2. what do you think about visiting Merida ? is it worth the long trip ? how about spending one night there ?

3. how do you feel about visiting Tulum ? Uxmal ? is it a day trip or overnight stay ?

Thanks

OM

Southern California
reviews: 1
27. Re: Single gay man going to Cancun

I love Isla Mujeres and spent 4 nights there this past May, followed by 6 at Akumal.

Tulum can be done as a day trip (be sure and visit some of the beach clubs afterward, easy to get a taxi outside the ruins if you do not have a rental car).

Uxmal is definitely an overnight, wonderful ruins. We stayed at Hacienda Uxmal.

Atlanta, Georgia
28. Re: Single gay man going to Cancun

Brazillian: I think thats the way Temptations in "marketed" in the UK (a real party place, not a couple resort). However, another website is stating that Temptation had 33% singles last week.

Montevideo...
29. Re: Single gay man going to Cancun

I will be going on January, is there any gay pub or gay friendly place to find someone to talk. If you know, please it would be nice to meet nice guys to talk

Cheers

Juan

Mi Wuk Village...
30. Re: Single gay man going to Cancun

Chichen Itza can be done as a day trip. Either with an overpriced tour or by taking a first class bus. There are guides for hire at the entrance. There are other ruins but Chichen is the largest and most restored.

Reply to: Single gay man going to Cancun
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted