We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience

Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Fond du Lac...
The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience

We are planning a trip to Cancun and wondering if anyone has been to both. Pros? Cons? We will be traveling with 3 other adult couples (40+) along with 3 couples (ages 19-21). They both look wonderful, but Sandos is less expensive. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

11 replies to this topic
Orange, California
reviews: 59
1. Re: The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience

Have not stayed at either, but I believe the Royal is AO, the Sandos family friendly ... the Royal has a rep. for being more lively and a party place, the Sandos quieter.

Massachusetts
reviews: 22
2. Re: The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience

Never been to Sandos, but I have been to the Royal in Cancun. All rooms are oceanfront and it is adult only. I did not feel it was really a party place, but I guess that depends on the guests staying there at the time. Very elegant, yet not stuffy. The pool directly overlooks the beach. Read my review and if you have any other questions, I'd be glad to answer.

Edited: 5:10 pm, July 23, 2013
Houston, Texas
reviews: 73
3. Re: The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience

Been to both Royals and definitely not party places. The Royal in Cancun didn't even have music at the pool. But The Royals are our overall favorite resorts.

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
for Cancun, Puerto Aventuras, Yucatan Peninsula
reviews: 10
4. Re: The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience

The Royal has an activity side and a quiet side so best of both worlds. In March they did have music by the activity pool for sure. Sandos looks lovely but we haven't tried it yet as it is not adults only. That is the main issue for me. Another place to check out is the new Secrets the Vine. We also love Sun Palace. It also has an activity side and quiet side and the best service ever! You would want an oceanview room for sure there. The Royal has wonderful oceanviews from all rooms but don't book the basic room as most of those have double beds.

Fond du Lac...
5. Re: The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience

Thanks for the info. We would rather have the music, entertainment, and activities than a quiet resort. We are also beach people, so a nice beach is also top on our priority list. How are beach areas at Secrets the Vine and Sun Palace? Again, thanks for all the good info!

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
6. Re: The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience

Sun Palace has a lovely beach. I have not stayed at STV but I hear it is very nice as well.

7. Re: The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:29 am, August 19, 2013

Fond du Lac...
8. Re: The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience

Thanks for all of the help! We have narrowed it down to the Royal or Sun Palace!

Halifax, Canada
Destination Expert
9. Re: The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience

I have written several lengthy reviews on both of these spots (Sun and Royal) You really can't go wrong. These are two of our favorite spots and have been to both 4 times. There are differences but both great spots.

Royal: great location, lovely beach, amazing oceanview rooms, great food (the steaks weren't great the last two times we were there), close to clubs, Margarittaville right across the street, La Isla mall close by, big evening shows in the lobby each night, a beach party on the beach weather permitting, smoking is allowed in the lobby area/bar (bad for us good for others),

Sun Palace: Best service, $1500 per room for tours, spa, dinner on the beach etc...11% tax but still if you use it all $165 for tons of stuff, sleek rooms (not as fancy as the royal...just a different look), close to the airport...further from the clubs, beach is even better than at the Royal...softer sand, amazing padded loungers on the beach vs normal ones at the Royal, umbrellas for everyone....extremely limited shade at the Royal, small lobby bar but lots of fun stuff going on...karaoke, Anything Can Happen night, DJ..dancing,

Couples night, Michael Jackson show in ballroom, ....we have had enough big shows so we like the entertainment here better, pools are smaller but all infinity, food is excellent....

Get oceanview at either....unless you want double beds don't get the basic room at the Royal...don't get sucked into timeshare at either

-bus ride $1 from either hotel...about 10-15 to clubs/shopping from Sun. We always thought it was far but it isn't

-Royal looks more grand

-lots of activities at both....water volleyball, water aerobics, beach volleyball etc. It seemed that more was going on at Sun re activities but both are great

-Lunch time you can eat outside at Sun Palace at the grill, you can even order food right to your chair or go inside to buffet or room service

-Lunch at the Royal you cannot eat at your chair. There is a sit down restaurant (Pelicanos) that is partly open air overlooking the water....excellent. Some people are upset that you can't bring food to your chair there so wanted you to know that.

-Drinks great at both...fancier plastic glasses at the Royal

-you can order bottles of wine and champagne to your room at Sun Palace...NOT at the Royal

-great mini bar at both and full bottles of booze in room at both

-At Royal you can use Gran caribe hotel right next door, At Sun you can go to Beach Palace

Any questions feel free to ask

Fond du Lac...
10. Re: The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience

What great info! Does the Sun Palace have a swim up bar? Between the two resorts, which would has more of an active "entertainment team"? I know the younger couples would want to be active during the day vs just laying around the pools/beach all day.

Reply to: The Royal in Cancun vs. Sandos Cancun Luxury Experience
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted