We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best place to stay for snorkeling

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sherwood, Oregon
Best place to stay for snorkeling

We are traveling to mexico the last week of June and can't decide between Cozumel or Akumal. It's just my husband and I and we really just want to hang out, relax and snorkel. Where should we stay?

1. Re: Best place to stay for snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:03 am, October 07, 2013
West Monroe, LA
reviews: 4
2. Re: Best place to stay for snorkeling

I have to agree with the previous poster. We have stayed at the Cozumel Palace and loved it. Snorkeling at the resort was just so convenient, and I even did the Discover Scuba at the resort. Great experience, although I won't ever be able to dive, due to problems with my ears. I have also been to Akumal Bay and snorkeled. To me, there is no comparison. I would definitely recommend Cozumel and the Palace. Our room was on the 5th floor, at the end of the resort where you can look down and see the dolphin experience. We enjoyed sitting out on the balcony watching the folks in the water with the dolphins, in addition to watching the cruise ships come in. Just a great time.

Sherwood, Oregon
3. Re: Best place to stay for snorkeling

So it's wasn't weird to not have a sandy beach. I've only ever been to Hawaii for snorkeling and we always had a sandy beach to relax on after snorkeling.

Cancun
reviews: 19
4. Re: Best place to stay for snorkeling

Club Med in Cancun, has one side exellent for snorkel, other side, sandy bay for swim in Caribbean, perfect location

Edited: 4:40 pm, May 18, 2013
Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
5. Re: Best place to stay for snorkeling

Many places near Akumal that have good to excellent snorkeling (in order from best to good)

Akumal Beach Resort

Grand Sirenis

Barceló

Palladium

Oasis Tulum

Most have excellent sandy beaches

Edited: 5:13 pm, May 18, 2013
Sherwood, Oregon
6. Re: Best place to stay for snorkeling

Akumal Beach Resort is one we have seriously looked at, but was worried the town was too small to do much of anything else. If we stay in Akumal do you think we would need a rental car? Club med is out husband already went and wants to go someplace different. Thanks

Puyallup, Washington
reviews: 1
7. Re: Best place to stay for snorkeling

We stayed at Akumal Beach Resort last summer for 5 days just for the snorkeling and to see the turtles and even though the resort is not a 4-5 star resort, it was definetly worth it. The bay is beautiful and to be able to walk out to the beach and snorkle right there and see turtles every day, we would go back again. We didn't rent a car, took the collectivo to Rio Secreto and rented a taxi for the day that took us to Tulum ruins, the beach and an authentic restaurant for $60 for about 5 hours, he dropped us off at every stop and waited until we were ready to move to the next spot. We had one of the guys at the entrance to the resort negotiate the price for us. You can take the collectivo north to Playa del Carmen or south to Tulum or anywhere in that area. Just walk out to the main highway and it's 3-5 pesos depending on how far you're going.

Edited: 10:03 pm, May 18, 2013
Sherwood, Oregon
8. Re: Best place to stay for snorkeling

Thank you so much, I really think the AKB is the way to go. How did you travel from Cancun Airport?

Vancouver
Destination Expert
for Akumal, Riviera Maya, Quintana Roo, Puerto Morelos
9. Re: Best place to stay for snorkeling

We use a private transfer (Canada Transfers or USA Transfer) ($120-130 round trip) to get to and from Akumal - I have also rented a car if I plan to do lots of side trips (average is $40 or less per day)

I have stayed at ABR and condos near by many times

Lots of little restaurants to eat out as well in the town of Akumal

10. Re: Best place to stay for snorkeling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, May 20, 2014