We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Room Upgrade

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Cancun hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Columbia MO
reviews: 25
Room Upgrade

I read sometimes on the boards about people getting free room upgrades. Is this possible when you book through Expedia, or only if you direct book?

Thanks

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 6
1. Re: Room Upgrade

I've never direct booked and got free upgrades to ocean view ( I booked lagoon view ) without asking on my last two trips. Once booking was thru Orbitz and the other bookit......

Edited: 2:08 pm, May 18, 2013
Atlanta,GA.
reviews: 124
2. Re: Room Upgrade

I have gotten free upgrades at almost every resort I have stayed at. In fact, I can only think of three places that didn't offer me one because they were booked to capacity.

Columbia MO
reviews: 25
3. Re: Room Upgrade

Peaches, did you just ask when you arrived or did you email before you went?

columbusoh
reviews: 4
4. Re: Room Upgrade

If you have email address (check their websites) send in advance and request upon arrival. If the hotel happens to have a royalty program, sign-up before arrival. They usually offer best rooms to members.

Minnesota
reviews: 1
5. Re: Room Upgrade

I normally book through Expedia and have never gotten an upgrade. I don't think it's due to Expedia specifically it's just the nature of the game. Just like going on your honeymoon and asking and expecting something. A large majority of people are there for the same reason and not everyone can get an upgrade.

Full disclosure, I always book the room I want so it's not the lowest level. May not have room for an upgrade.

Grand Junction...
reviews: 45
6. Re: Room Upgrade

I have only once received a free upgrade upon check in(that I didn't want, BTW), and I think that was due to the preferred status of the travel agent with whom I booked. The other free upgrade I received was due to the resort not having the room I booked available when I checked in, so we were downgraded for one night and extremely upgraded for the rest of my trip. We usually travel during high season no matter where we go and when we go, so I don't ever expect to be upgraded. I ALWAYS book the room I want, not a basic room and hope for the best.

Edited: 10:24 pm, May 18, 2013
Cozumel, Mexico
reviews: 9
7. Re: Room Upgrade

When you book through a third party like Expedia/Travelocity etc...The hotel has to pay a hefty commssion to the 3rd party....I would rather book directlty with the hotel as they can have more wiggle room to give you an upgrade...the Hotels pay 10-20% to these agencies...Why should they give you the upgrade when you chose to book through a 3rd party....????

Atlanta,GA.
reviews: 124
8. Re: Room Upgrade

I usually ask when we get there and have absolutely no expectations if it doesn't work out. I try to be as nice as possible because the people who work at the front desk are continually treated poorly by some guests and I know it must be frustrating to them. Sometimes a big ole smile and a "how's your day going?" is all it takes.

If I know particulars about a certain resort and I usually do thanks to TA, I will email ahead of time and ask for a certain room or block of rooms and see what happens. I almost always book through a resort directly, but have received upgrades even when using sites such as Skyuction or Luxury Link.

If I am celebrating something special I will always book exactly what I want and leave nothing to chance, but to me a room is just a room and I am willing to take just see what happens.. I almost never travel at the height of a season unless it is with my husband's business so I find resorts do have a bit more ability to give you an upgrade. Many times in the off season, they will close entire buildings in order to better utilize services such as room service and housekeeeping and are more amenable to giving you a free upgrade.

9. Re: Room Upgrade

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 am, May 21, 2014